cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone in bottom of dirty canal :(

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm angry & annoyed with myself ... when buying a £1 bag of sweeties from a narrowboat on the canal whilst bending forward to profer my money, my mobile phone slipped out of my open handbag into the canal ... it's f(p)arting gesture was bubbles slight_frown ... an expensive bag of sweets

Windows Nokia Lumia 650lte phone

I have put my previous 640lte phone on charge ready to go into the town's O2 shop tomorrow

It's the loss of my son's wedding photo = the one where is smiling directly at me + contacts list + details in phone calendar, which are a loss to me

I don't remember backing up my phone - I don't know how to do that 'fancy footwork'

I'd say a member of staff who set up my phone when I upgraded & took out whatever cards from the 640lte phone into my then new 650lte phone

I have O2 insurance 

atm I cannot afford to upgrade

Your help will be gratefully appreciated ... I have lost my sense of humour even though it could have been worse = my purse could have dropped into the canal too 

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Login to the 640 with your windows ID and it will give the option to restore the last backup from the 650.
Some things won't work as I guess the 640 will be windows 8.1 but all your photos and contacts should be saved.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Login to the 640 with your windows ID and it will give the option to restore the last backup from the 650.
Some things won't work as I guess the 640 will be windows 8.1 but all your photos and contacts should be saved.

Thank you @MI5 ... when the 640 is fully charged I will do as you advise 

Message 3 of 45

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@AnonymousYou should also report it lost (which it is)

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Lost-or-Stolen-O2-Device-How-to-Report-it/ba-p/1023988 and think about using your O2 insurance for a replacement. You have paid the insurance so should make use of it really wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 45

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you do report it lost, remember it will put a block on your account, so you will need to get that lifted when you get your new sim, or else it won't work.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
If you do report it lost, remember it will put a block on your account, so you will need to get that lifted when you get your new sim, or else it won't work.

Thank you @Cleoriff & @MI5

The 640 is charging up & displaying 'sim is missing or invalid'

I'm sorry, but I'm getting confused ... it doesn't take much doing with tech, you will also know this

I just want a working decent phone ... I have a call to make on Monday to a government department & it is imperative I do this ... the other stuff in my phone calendar isn't that important to be remembered

I don't like contacting customer services re: unblocking my account ... would the good people in the O2 shop do this for me? 

Message 6 of 45

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The shop will call for you but tbh, as it's at the bottom of the canal, it's unlikely that anyone will get it and use your sim before you get a new one (which will cancel the old one anyway).
Sounds like you need to factory reset your 640 which will then force the update to enter your windows ID.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 45

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous  However using your insurance will get you another phone. I can't see the point of paying for insurance and not using it if honest....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
The shop will call for you but tbh, as it's at the bottom of the canal, it's unlikely that anyone will get it and use your sim before you get a new one (which will cancel the old one anyway).
Sounds like you need to factory reset your 640 which will then force the update to enter your windows ID.

Thank you @MI5 ... Brace Thissen wink ... (You're a Good Sport @MI5) ... I've not done any sort of a factory reset before ... are you able to post how I can do this please? ... or is it something the O2 shop could do for me tomorrow?

Message 9 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous  However using your insurance will get you another phone. I can't see the point of paying for insurance and not using it if honest....

Thank you @Cleoriff ...This is something I need to think about  carefully, probably overnight, I shall enquire at the O2 shop tomorrow about this ... I took out O2 insurance about £6 per month as a matter of course & I think I'm also insured via house contents via my bank ... however producing relevant details is another thing 

Message 10 of 45