Did you mean: 

PPP connection using Mobile broadband with Huawei 4G 3372h modem

daveck
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello all.

I have a question - I am not a business user - I just have a fairly fancy home setup. I use a Draytek 2862

router for internet access over VDSL. I today purchased a Huawei 4G 3372h 4G modem from O2 that let's

me set this up as a failover connection in case my primary VDSL service goes down. All works like a charm.

The only issue I have is that I am connecting using the "DHCP Client" mode on the modem. What I'd really

like to do is connect using PPP so the 4G connection gets a public IP address (dynamic is okay). This would

mean my Dynamic DNS set-up could still allow VPN connectivity from my home to relatives homes. The

downside of using DHCP Client mode is that there is no public IP address accessible for the link. Has

anyone tried to use a 4G modem in this PPP mode over O2 ? Is it a supported mode of access ? I've tried

using various settings for the Modem Initial String etc. but to no avail ... 

Many thanks for any pointers !

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144193 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
Looks like it's variant dependent and requires a bit of fiddling.....
http://www.0xf8.org/2017/01/flashing-a-huawei-e3372h-4g-lte-stick-from-hilink-to-stick-mode/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144193 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
Looks like it's variant dependent and requires a bit of fiddling.....
http://www.0xf8.org/2017/01/flashing-a-huawei-e3372h-4g-lte-stick-from-hilink-to-stick-mode/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

daveck
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

MI5 - thank you thank you !

I did some digging on the h vs s variance and couldn't find much info - so you have helped me greatly

on that score with this link. This is invaluable info and you are right - it does look a bit involved - but does

explain what is going on and why PPP mode with the h variant is not happy.

Much obliged to you !

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144193 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
No problem at all mate and good luck with it wink

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4