Did you mean: 

O2 Huawei 4g broadband dongle performance

dongleuser
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

hi,

for the last couple of months ive had great performance through my 4g dongle in my garden office(no decent broadband where i live) , consistent 10-15mbs download and 5-8mbs upload. Perfect for my voice and video calls. As of Monday morning its gone down to 0.3-4mbs for upload, my voice calls have been delayed and stuttering and video not an option. I know its not my pc as i have an android phone on 4g also connecting to the same cell tower that has similar performance.  anyone have any suggestions of what action i should take ?

thanks 

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@dongleuser 

Check for faults here O2 Service Status

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi if your mobile broadband dongle isn't working so well, you need to connect it to a 10-15cm USB extension cable and fit the dongle to it, connecting the other end to your laptop's USB socket and it will work just like an aerial. This will improve the signal and speed.

😀

Message 2 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@dongleuser 

Check for faults here O2 Service Status

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 9

dongleuser
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

hi, thanks for the idea. However, I have the dongle in a power bank that i put up on a high shelf, which takes my signal strength to 4 bars. I connect via wifi. i have tested and found that Wifi vs USB connection gives me a 50-70% increase in consistent speed. Have to say I find it odd that a USB connection is slower than Wifi but thats been my experience over the past year. 

Message 4 of 9

dongleuser
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thanks. and you were right. O2 report a local mast issue... 👍 hoping that is resolved quickly and normal service will resume..

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Fingers crossed

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Might be that the position the dongle is in causes the drop in speed rather than the connection type.

Being directly next to the laptop/PC might be impacting the reception of the dongle vs it being on the shelf away from interference...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 7 of 9

dongleuser
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

hi, i've always had it on the shelf across the room. The fault has been cleared from O2 status yet upload wont go above 0.4mbs. not good...

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Usually need to reboot everything after a repair @dongleuser 

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9