cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia to Blackberry

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had a Nokia Classic for about seven years on a pay-as-you-go basis.  I am not technically minded and this simple device suits me perfectly for texting and the odd phone call.

A friend recently gave me a Blackberry 9700, thinking he would help me 'upgrade'.

I naively thought I could simply take the sim card from my Nokia, put it in the Blackberry and retain my mobile number and contacts.  Apparently, it is not that simple.

Can anyone explain to me in basic terms what I have to do to to get the Blackberry to work, please?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Honestly I wouldn't bother.
There are no real simple ways to explain how BB's work. You need to have accounts with BIS or BES (whichever is still running) just to get emails and for the older models like yours, you need to pay a monthly fee for them.
Primarily they were designed for business users and that type of phone is not suitable for the needs you have described.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Honestly I wouldn't bother.
There are no real simple ways to explain how BB's work. You need to have accounts with BIS or BES (whichever is still running) just to get emails and for the older models like yours, you need to pay a monthly fee for them.
Primarily they were designed for business users and that type of phone is not suitable for the needs you have described.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK.  Many thanks for that.

Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with @MI5.....Blackberrys are extremely complicated unless you have used them before; especially if your not very technical

Message 4 of 6

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey guys, what phone(s) would you recommend in this case? slight_smile Not too technical, easy to use, simple? 

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Any except a BB.
iPhone is probably the easiest to use and there are some good deals on a 5s around now.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6