cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia Lumia 800 (W7.8) on BT Internet (Infinity) Home Hub

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got a Nokia Lumia 800 w7.8 phone which I use to connect to the internet through my BT HomeHub. The HomeHub has 3 "network connections", namely my "Secure" Home Network, an "Open" BTWi-Fi connection, and an "Open" BTWi-Fi-with-FON connection.

Until recently, I have connected via my Secure home connection and it has stayed as such whilst in range of my HomeHub. All was well, with no problems. Whilst away from home it would find available networks if required, and when returning home would re-connect automatically to my "secure" HomeHub network.:smileyhappy:

But recently for some unknown reason it has kept changing the connection to the "open" BTWi-Fi connection, and as such I keep losing a connection until I enter a password. This can happen whilst I am connected via, and using, my "secure" network, then for no apparent reason it changes to the "open" network. Smiley Mad

Is there any way that I can prioritise which network should be used when multiple choices are available, as I could with my previous Nokia X6?Smiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a shame.  It sounds like it could be an issue with WP 7.8 that's fixed in WP8 😞

THe only option I can think of is to disable the open network on your phone and then manually connect to it when you are out and need it.  It's not a perfect solution, but it would work.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you tried resetting the home hub? Ie switch off and on again?

Can you delete the saved openzone/Fon network from your Wifi settings?

Have you tried a hard reset of the phone?
Message 2 of 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Have you asked BT about this, as it could be a fault with the hub if a reset doesn't fix it?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

PapaDug,

Thanks for your suggestions...

• I've tried turning hub on/off, but no difference.
  • If I delete the BTWiFi / FON settings, I lose the option to use these Internet Hot Spots when "roaming".
  • What does a hard reset entail? Would I lose data?

My other family members do not have any problems using their phones on our network, one being a Lumia 520 (w8) which works fine.

Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
On Windows Phone there is no way unfortunately to specify a wifi priority. The phone will automatically connect to the last wifi you set to log onto automatically I believe.

Have you tried deleting your secure network and then adding it again. That should hopefully make the phone automatically select that one.
Message 5 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Maybe a 7.8 bug - Can you not update your phone to Win8 ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortunately Windows Phone 7.8 devices, like the Lumia 800, can't be upgraded to WP8 due to hardware limitations.
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5,

Sadly no, it's not possible to update from w7/7.8 to w8.:smileysad:

Yet another Microsoft piece of "Don't Care about Customers".Smiley Mad

Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Colonel_K
Thanks for this idea. I'll try it and see how it goes.
Will let you know...
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Colonel_K

So I tried as previous above, appeared to stay on home secure nwk, but don't know for how long. Went out and after returning home it was connected to BTWiFi open nwk.

Other devices (Androin Tablet, iPhone, Lumia 520) have no problems staying on secure nwk. it just seems to be the Lumia 800 that's having the trouble.

Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 12