cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia Lumia 610 keeps powering on and off when it wants......bizarre!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am new to this forum.

I wonder if anyone could help me with my contract pay monthly Nokia Lumia 610. I have had it as an O2 upgrade for nearly 2 years (1 year 7 months) to be exact. My contract is due to expire or be eligible for another upgrade in October 2014.

Lately it has been just powering itself on and off regardless of when I want to turn it on...or off! Crazy

My thinking is that the back maybe getting loose and might not be holding the battery in as tightly as it should be, either that or its just dying!

I'd be grateful for any advice - especially on how I go about getting a repair and who from....I have no 'gadget' insurance for it, so would it still be O2's problem to fix? And free of charge?

Many thanx in advance for any advice,

Melissa.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have received the new battery today, and the problem is still apparent, so I have just got off the phone with O2 and they have arranged for a courier to pick up my phone tomorrow between 9am & 1pm, to get it repaired. they said it would take 4 days to diagnose and hopefully repair, and then get it back to me by courier as well.

Its still annoying being without it but at least hopefully O2 can find out what the problem is and repair it, all for FREE.

Will let you all know how I get on,

Melissa.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous , sorry for the delay in getting back to you! I've never professed to being a Nokia or Windows phone expert but lets see if I can help!

Ultimately it is O2 who should deal with the repair of your phone. However having heard some of the horror stories on here about people who have allowed O2 to "repair" their phone I wouldn't suggest that. Alot of the members on here generally suggest dealing direct with the manufacturer, ie Nokia, especially as the phone should still be under warranty. You could check out here on how to contact Nokia about a repair.

However, as you only have 4 months until your upgrade date, and hopefully a new phone lets see if we can get a workaround to get rid of the problem until then. Also remember that sending your phone for repair means that you'll be without it for what could be a couple of weeks and it might come back with the same problem!

From what I can find out this is probably a dodgy connection with the battery terminals, and you are probably correct that the battery is moving, even slightly, causing it to power off and on. Does it do it if you shake the phone?

So...one solution that I have seen suggested which fixed the problem on some Lumia 521s is to take a small piece of paper and fold it a couple times and wrap it around the edge of the battery opposite the contacts to give it a much snugger fit.  If it still shuts down, add more paper.

Alternatively it could be that the battery is now faulty. I'm not sure how much a new battery is and if this is something you'd be willing to buy to find out if its the problem?

Does your phone get hot at all before it starts shutting off and on?

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanx for your reply@Anonymous.

The battery or phone doesn't seem to be getting hot at all. I've wrapped a few small bits of paper round the battery and it definitely fits snugger when the battery cover goes on, but itis still turning itself on and off - now seems to be more off than on actually. So I've just ordered a new lithium 3L battery from AmazonMarketPlace, for about £3, to see if it is a depleted battery.

Will let you know how I get on when that arrives,

Many Thanks,

Melissa.

Message 4 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144423 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
If a new battery doesn't help you may want to try a reset of the phone to clear any potential software conflicts.
Also, have you added or updated any apps recently that might coincide with the restarts happening?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have received the new battery today, and the problem is still apparent, so I have just got off the phone with O2 and they have arranged for a courier to pick up my phone tomorrow between 9am & 1pm, to get it repaired. they said it would take 4 days to diagnose and hopefully repair, and then get it back to me by courier as well.

Its still annoying being without it but at least hopefully O2 can find out what the problem is and repair it, all for FREE.

Will let you all know how I get on,

Melissa.

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well at least you now know that it was a Phone issue and not a battery problem...and hey, you've now got a spare battery! Smiley Very Happy

Keep us updated on how the repair goes.

Fingers crossed you get your phone back soon...and working as you'd expect it to!

Message 7 of 7