cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Nokia Lumia 520 phone] Data usage settings

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I have had an issue with data usage.  Two evenings ago I received a message informing me that I had (surprisingly) used 80% of my monthly data allowance.  This morning I received a message saying that I've now exhausted it.  In that time period I have not left my house and have been constantly connected to my home Wi-fi.  Has anyone else experienced this?

I have attempted the live chat but it seems to be an endless wait and the telephone customer care system is useless.

Thanks

Ryan

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

What phone do you have?

some of them use a combination of wifi and mobile data which can be switched off in your settings. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks

It's a Nokia Lumia 520.  I can't see where this setting can be changed.  This is the first month that this has happened since I got the phone about three years ago.  So not sure if it is a settings issue.  However, I'm pretty clueless as to what else it could be.

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I don't actually think your phone has that feature anyway, so most likely not the issue.
There should be an app on your phone called "Data sense" where you can monitor and control data usage.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/10894/windows-phone-how-can-i-minimize-my-data-usage
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Actually, your phone does have the feature I mentioned.

Check these settings to see if it is enabled.

Prevent cellular data usage when Wi-Fi connectivity is limited

If your phone is connected to Wi-Fi and can't complete a data-intensive task like downloading an app because of limited connectivity, you can prevent your phone from finishing the operation using cellular data. (This setting may not appear on your phone, depending on how your phone is set up by the manufacturer or your mobile operator.)

1. In the App list, tap Settings 

Settings Icon
     > Cellular+SIM.

2. Tap For limited Wi-Fi connectivity, and then tap Don't use cellular data.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this.  My phone doesn't appear to have the options you set out.  From my experience it already automatically doesn't download things like podcasts unless there's Wi-fi available so perhaps that's a default setting.  

The data sense function also doesn't appear to give much clarity, just the ability to set a limit and alter roaming settings.

Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Sorry I've not used a windows Phone for a while so I can't offer much more.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

No worries, thanks for your help.

Message 8 of 9

MercedesS
Former Staff
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous, welcome to the O2 community! 

Maybe @Curr946 that knows all about Windows Phones can help you.

Plus, we are moving your topic to "Other Devices" to see if someone there can find a solution for you, ok?

Thanks @MI5 for all! Hero

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 9 of 9