cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia Lumia 1020 - Repairs/warranty etc?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

Just a question regarding this phone. I can purchased a used Lumia 1020. 

However, what rights do I have with it if something goes wrong? Warranty wise. Am I covered by the manufacturer. The phone is locked to O2 (Can GiffGaff be used on O2 locked by the way?). Regarding hardware faults.

If I am not covered, say the digitiser is defective, how much am I Looking at?

Last question, say the gorilla glass is scratched to hell, are they easy to replace? Does the whole unit need to be taken apart (as I know some phones have the digitiser and glass combined).

Thanks all,

Mike

Message 1 of 64
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I've just sent my 1520 in for repair and they only said they need proof of purchase if it is out of warrenty. This was in the e-mail once I made the repair claim online:

"What happens next:

Here's what to do

• Create a back-up of your personal data.
  • Packing instructions
    • Remove and retain your battery, battery cover, SIM and memory card before packing your device. We assume no responsibility for these items or their return if they are sent to us.
    • Pack your Nokia device in a small padded envelope or a padded box to protect it from damage. Nokia assumes no responsibility for any damage to your Nokia device which is insufficiently or incorrectly packed.
    • If possible, also include a proof of purchase, such as your receipt. If your device is out of warranty on our register, a proof of purchase will be required.
    • Print this email and include it when packing your phone."
iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 64
63 REPLIES 63

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

The warranty is attached to the phone not the purchaser.

Any work need to be carried out by an authorised engineer. Such as ones in Some Carphone Warehouses or any remaining warranty would be voided.

Edit : Nokia Care Point Link http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/care-point/

As for cost you would have to wait until they give you a costing and then go from there.

Yes a GiffGaff Sim Card will be accepted into a phone locked to O2 as it's a virtual network that runs off the O2 network and is owned by Telefonica.
Message 2 of 64

Cleoriff
  • 123064 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

As for cost you would have to wait until they give you a cursing and then go from there.

Genuine question BoB...what on earth is a 'cursing'.....:smileywink:

Oh I see now that you have edited your post ..costing NOT cursing..Fear

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
Genuine answer @Cleoriff ~ Typo. 😞

Now edited slight_smile
Message 4 of 64

Cleoriff
  • 123064 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Genuine answer @Cleoriff ~ Typo. 😞

Now edited slight_smile

Yes as I mentioned above...Back on topic..:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes back on topic.

Here is the link to Nokia's Warranty a info on Lumia and Asha Handsets.

http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/manufacturers-limited-warranty/
Message 6 of 64

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I've just sent my 1520 in for repair and they only said they need proof of purchase if it is out of warrenty. This was in the e-mail once I made the repair claim online:

"What happens next:

Here's what to do

• Create a back-up of your personal data.
  • Packing instructions
    • Remove and retain your battery, battery cover, SIM and memory card before packing your device. We assume no responsibility for these items or their return if they are sent to us.
    • Pack your Nokia device in a small padded envelope or a padded box to protect it from damage. Nokia assumes no responsibility for any damage to your Nokia device which is insufficiently or incorrectly packed.
    • If possible, also include a proof of purchase, such as your receipt. If your device is out of warranty on our register, a proof of purchase will be required.
    • Print this email and include it when packing your phone."
iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 7 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply slight_smile

So according to the terms and conditions I am completely covered for hardware faults. However it does mention "information needed to process your warranty queries", meaning what exactly? As if I am purchasing second hand it isn't exactly proof of purchase per se. Well they wouldn't like that fact really.

I knew GiffGaff ran off the O2 network but didn't know if they've got their own cellular frequency. Good to know, can use both my O2 and GiffGaff SIM now.

All seems dandy then. Thanks!

EDIT

Ah that is interesting regarding the "proof of purchase", I could ask the seller yes you are right. Surely shouldn't be a problem to provide evidence. 

That said you can register your IMEI with Nokia, so wouldn't that make it binded to the seller? Which could cause issues down the line?

Message 8 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Yes it just seems to be standard practice to add that bit in about proof of purchase. I note is says "if possible"

They'll see from it's imei details and any security serial number it's remaining warranty status.

If you know the original seller then you could ask for the receipt or if you don't then just explain to a Nokia the situation and the original receipt is not providable.
Message 9 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
"However it does mention "information needed to process your warranty queries", meaning what exactly?"

You mean this ' 5. OTHER IMPORTANT NOTICES
For further information on your Warranty, as well as information needed to process your warranty queries, please visit http://www.nokia.com. '

I've followed the link and it just goes to another Nokia Info page.
Message 10 of 64