cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet access when in USA on Blackberry Curve

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a pay monthly O2 contract.  It works fine in UK.  I have 100mb of data. I am in USA and can't get internet thru WiFi.  WiFi is connected and shows up on screen, so that is OK. When I click browser, it says data services are turned off and I need to trun them on.

BUT i can't use my inclusive data allowance outside Europe, so I turned data off. I thought the whole point about WiFi was you can go onine without using data services if you are in a wifi area!

Why won't it work withouth data switched on? - that will cost me a fortune!  I'm new to smartphones so don't know how to get this to work.

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Try this I found on another forum.

Go to Options >Advanced Options >Browser and change your default browser to WiFi Browser.

Apparently this will allow it to work with data turned off.

There appears to be a few apps that won't work via wifi I presume they need your data to verify your handsets number for example BBM.

Hope this helps?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Try this I found on another forum.

Go to Options >Advanced Options >Browser and change your default browser to WiFi Browser.

Apparently this will allow it to work with data turned off.

There appears to be a few apps that won't work via wifi I presume they need your data to verify your handsets number for example BBM.

Hope this helps?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 3

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Data services should be able to be left on with wifi but turning "whilst roaming" to off should prevent incurring a data charge whilst on the US network. Both are within the "mobile network" settings.

Message 3 of 3