cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop apps using internet on pay/go phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I know there have been posts about this in the past but I couldn't find anything from the last few months.  I've got a Nokia pay & go on o2 and in about the last week it's started logging itself into the internet while not in use, and the first I know about it is when I get a message saying I've been charged for it.  I'm pretty sure I haven't got any third party apps installed so it must be o2's own software doing it - how do I switch this off, and how did I unwittingly sign up for it in the first place?

Tbanks,

Chris

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143414 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, I've set it to [EDIT: when needed], will hope that fixes it.:-)

It should now only access data if you open an app that requires it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have a similar issue and am very new to smartphones. I have a new Iphone7 with mobile data turned off permanently as I only ever use wifi on my phone at home or at free sites when i am out and about. I have a bundle which is not updated so expect to be using a standard tariff. But odd amounts, a few pence usually, are being deducted from my account. Is this because apps are being updated when i haven't got free wifi? If so, how can i stop this happenening? O2 staff say that I am using data.

Please can anyone help me understand?

Message 12 of 15

MI5
  • 143414 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If data is turned off you can't be using it.
Go to settings >mobile data and make sure nothing is on then right at the bottom of that page, check wifi assist is off and then reset statistics.
You will then be able to check regularly if any data is being used.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that. Mobile data is definitely off and assist off. Have reset the stats too.

I have also now gone into "Itunes &app stores" and under automatic downloads, Ive turned off updates.

Hopefully this will do the job!

I will see..

Cheers

Message 14 of 15

MI5
  • 143414 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Let us know.......

Currently using:
Message 15 of 15