cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GDR2 or Windows Phone 10 on Lumia 1520 - when?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Lumia 1520 on O2. I got a little excited on Tues 8 Dec 15 when I saw it had an update. Would this be the long awaited (9 months overdue) GDR2 or maybe the promised-for-Dec-15 Windows Phone 10?

Errrr..... nope. Just a 10 months overdue upgrade to 8.10.14234.375 which was released Feb 15.

It has been years since I could use a keyboard with my phone (come back O2 XDA Mini S) which is why I have been wating so long for GDR2. Who would have thought Microsoft/Nokia would have been so dumb to release a phone which can't use Bluetooth keyboard like every iPhone/Android on the planet.

So, when will my phone get either GDR2 or 10?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous. I suspect that @Chris_K is the only person who could answer your question. He will be online tomorrow. ..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Only @Chris_K would know.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

There`s no GD2 coming the next update will be windows 10 mobile, I don`t expect to see that before next year  which is a good thing it need`s to be rtm before they push out, some insider`s are still finding issues with the latest build so it need`s ironing out before they release, As for that update you had, The 930 had that it was only firmware update and the thinking is this was microsoft pushing an update direct to the mobile buypassing the carrier, We know windows ten will be the last os after that microsoft will push out updates this may have been them testing, This also may be why some US carriers are not offering the 950 they like to be in control, Carrier free phone`s are rare in the US.

Message 4 of 8

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Yeah, GD2 isn't coming, but windows 10 should at some point. However, you can joint the insider programme and download the new OS and have the option to roll back should you not like it, or have any problems. slight_smile
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Microsoft have just pulled build 10586.29 from it`s server due to issue`s with the 950 for some user`s, this was the first update rolled out to the new phone direct to handset`s, further evidence that window`s 10 mobile is not RTM yet.

Message 6 of 8

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
To be fair, windows 10 will never be RTM, as it's being treated as a service and will continue to evolve.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

When they release windows 10 mobile update to the world it will be RTM, after that it will be patched like windows pc software has for years it will be up to the user to keep it up to date.

Message 8 of 8