cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email sender not recognised since BB software update

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a BlackBerry Curve 9360 and recently upgraded to the latest software 7.1.0 Bundle 2301.  Since then all email appear as if I sent them to myself and do not recognise the sender from my contacts.  I have tried reloading my contacts and re-registering the service but still not working correctly.  Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Alan,

Sorry I didnt get a chance to reply over the weekend. I saw you had posted on the BlackBerry forum when I did a search for your problem last week. Have you tried posting the same thing on CrackBerry.com?

I think you're probably right when you say its a bug in the operating system software. is it an officially released software version you are using or a leaked version?

I dont know what the issues are with the iPhone when it comes to email, but I do know that legacy BlackBerry's like yours recieve emails alot faster...plus you have the added bonus of a physical keyboard to type on!

As for the latest BlackBerry's (the Z10, Q10 and Q5), they handle email differently so essentially the same as other smartphones like the iPhone and Galaxy range, etc. But again, with the Q10 and Q5 you have the added bonus of a real keyboard and a touchscreen! The only thing lacking with the new BB10 operating system is Apps, but alot of the developers are now on board and the apps are coming (except O2! ).

Only you can decide what is the right phone for you though. I would advise testing each of the phones before you commit to a purchase.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive seen this before but I'm not sure if it was on my 9900 or if I saw screenshots of it.

I'm sure its a setting for the mailbox to show Sender name rather than recipient. I dont even have an OS7 phone to check. I am about 90% certain its a setting within the phone though that you can change to resolve the problem.

What happens when you send an email from the phone? Does the correct recipient/sender information appear?

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I click Reply it just sends this to me not the actual sender.

I have now narrowed this down to just affecting email's from my family with the same surname.  All other email, whether from contacts or not, are fine.

My daughter sent an email to my wife and I. On my PC it looks fine but on the BlackBerry it is if from me to me twice.

I deleted my name from the contacts on the BlackBerry and got my wife to email me. This then showed as from my daughter, her name was next in the alphabet.

Really weird.  Must get an iPhone 5 next time.

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
You do realise that an iPhone 5 isn't comparable to a BlackBerry Curve? You have a budget phone in your hands, not a premium one like the iPhone, but I guarantee that it will handle email better than any iPhone.

It sounds as though there is some sort of issue between your contacts and the email on the phone. Do you have a contact for yourself on the phone that might include all of the associated email addresses?

Do you sync your contacts to Gmail or hotmail?
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

So although you say an iPhone is a premium phone it will not handle email as well as a budget BlackBerry?  Do you know what the issues are with the iPhone as emailing is the key feature I am looking for and reviews rarely mention this.

Previously I had an HTC and that was a great phone but it kept disconnecting itself from my email and could not be relied upon.  I have had the BlackBerry for 16 months now and until this last week it handled email's superbly and in two months when my contract is up I was going for the latest BlackBerry.  However the bets are off right now.

I sync my contacts with Outlook on my PC.  My own contact file does not contain any reference to my family members and vice versa.

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

More experimenting and if I rename my family: Me, Wife, Son, etc. The emails come through fine and pick up the correct person from the email address in thier contact file. The BlackBerry does not seem to want to assign the emails correctly if there is more than one person with the same surname.  

This has only happend since I upgraded the BlackBerry software so I am presuming this is some sort of glitch that may be sorted in the next upgrade.  I am not sure how to make BlackBerry aware of this, no one has responded on their forum.

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Alan,

Sorry I didnt get a chance to reply over the weekend. I saw you had posted on the BlackBerry forum when I did a search for your problem last week. Have you tried posting the same thing on CrackBerry.com?

I think you're probably right when you say its a bug in the operating system software. is it an officially released software version you are using or a leaked version?

I dont know what the issues are with the iPhone when it comes to email, but I do know that legacy BlackBerry's like yours recieve emails alot faster...plus you have the added bonus of a physical keyboard to type on!

As for the latest BlackBerry's (the Z10, Q10 and Q5), they handle email differently so essentially the same as other smartphones like the iPhone and Galaxy range, etc. But again, with the Q10 and Q5 you have the added bonus of a real keyboard and a touchscreen! The only thing lacking with the new BB10 operating system is Apps, but alot of the developers are now on board and the apps are coming (except O2! ).

Only you can decide what is the right phone for you though. I would advise testing each of the phones before you commit to a purchase.

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response and advice, I used the official released upgrade.

If the latest BlackBerry phones use the same messaging service as other phones then it seems like my choice will be much simpler.  Over the weekend I played with my daughters iPhone 4 and my sons Galaxy S3. Both felt far superior phone in terms of handing and use, the on screen keyboard was easy enough to type with.  My previous HTC had a very small on screen keyboard with a pen to select characters, this was fiddly. My offspring do not seem to have any email issues with their phones. My choice is getting clearer.

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go and have a play with a new Blackberry 10 device as well...such a fluid operating system and faster than the iPhone and SG3.

One thing I'd also like to point out if you are considering the SG3...both my girlfriend and her brother moved from iPhone 3G's to the Galaxy S3 late last year...and are already wanting to move back to an iPhone because of how slow the Galaxy can get and how often it hangs.

Message 9 of 9