Anonymous

Re: Denim/GDR1 for Nokia Lumia - Update

I don't know whether its misleading, or, incompetance
Anonymous

Sigh!

O2 Social Media Team

Want to clear some things up with everyone and keep you in the picture here.

We/O2 can only release software once the vendor (Microsoft, LG, Samsung, Sony, whoever) sends our device team the update, once we've done necessary testing, and implemented any necessary fixes or network enhancements (for instance). Once that's done, we send this back to the vendor and they then schedule it for launch - usually a week or two afterwards.

As of right now, we have not received any of these Denim/Cortana updates. We are in regular talks with Nokia - they know we want the update, they know you want the update. Remember Microsoft have a market in many countries and each country has several networks - that's a lot of individual updates Microsoft need to worry about. Basically, this isn't an easy or straight forward or simple process and it's possible you may see some delays or discrepancies between different networks/countries releasing their updates for a number of reasons, several of which could be out of Microsofts and/or networks control.

Remember too that Microsoft will often release open market software updates before the networks do. I've checked with our device team and things still appear to be on track for what we hope will be a January launch for many Lumia devices.

Hopefully i'll have more info or an update for you next week. Cortana/Denim is worth the wait and we know you'll love it when it arrives.

Hi. I'm from the Social Media Team.

Topics: 757

Thanks for that update and explanation @Chris_K At least we now know it isn't purely O2's fault  we haven't rolled it out yet...Smiley Wink

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
Anonymous

Ok, thanks Chris. But does your maths work for a Jan ok launch - assuming o2 gets it this week/next week and your testers can work on it straight away, and the testing takes a week add in the two weeks for MS to OTA it, that takes us to Feb... And some of us very, very grumpy...
Topics: 757

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok, thanks Chris. But does your maths work for a Jan ok launch - assuming o2 gets it this week/next week and your testers can work on it straight away, and the testing takes a week add in the two weeks for MS to OTA it, that takes us to Feb... And some of us very, very grumpy...

I think Jan might be expecting a bit too much @Anonymous ....I can't see it being a Jan launch sadly Smiley Sad

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
O2 Social Media Team

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand what you mean - currently we're still looking at the glass as being half full and are still hopeful of seeing the first update(s) roll out before the end of the month, but i'll be sure to keep you updated as and when I find out more.

Hi. I'm from the Social Media Team.

Level 3: Thinker

I don't think any blame should be placed at O2's door for this. I think Microsoft have dragged their heels for far too long on this particular update. I also think they've used Developer Preview as an easy way out of the regular OS updates they've promised since day one of Windows Phone. It feels like they've diverted all the resources into another new version of Windows Phone/Mobile now that 10 is imminent (seems like WP 7 to 7.5 to 8 all over again!).

I love my Lumia 1020 but I'm losing faith with Microsoft. If I liked iOS or Android I'd have jumped ship by now.

If @Chris_K can keep us in the loop (as he appears to be doing) then that's all O2 can do as far as I can see.

We should be badgering Microsoft to pull their finger out and stop being complacent as they've still got a lot of catching up to do.

Anonymous

It has been frustrating, I'm guilty of impatience, so ill take on board what Chris is saying. Thanks for your response Chris.
Anonymous

Thanks for the update, I'm just hoping it finally brings Cortana to my 1020. Though I am annoyed as hell that my 1020 won't be getting any of the camera updates. Sounds like MS/Nokia are cocking around again, but you're doing an admirable job of managing expectations.