Did you mean: 

Denim/GDR1 for Nokia Lumia - Update

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hi all,

There have many many discussions and comments here on the community about the status of this update. We've also received tweets and Facebook messages - so we know as ever, this is a highly anticipated update that all of you are waiting anxiously to receive. And we can see why - Cortana herself is worthy of an update like this.

We understand waiting for these updates can be frustrating, but with so many Lumia devices out there, it's understandably going to take Microsoft some time to ensure these updates offer a smooth and enjoyable experience for all customers.

15th Jan 2015 Update
Today, we have approved the latest Denim update for the following Lumia models:
520, 620, 625, 720 and 1320

These updates now sit with Microsoft to schedule and launch to customers. Just to ensure you're 100% in the picture here - the testing and approval process for the above devices is now complete on our end. We are in talks with Microsoft to get a more accurate ETA for release and we do still expect this to be this month, but as and when we receive any confirmations or updates i'll be sure to keep everyone updated here.

What about the others?
We understand the frustration if you have a handset other than the 5 mentioned above, but we assure you we'll work as best we can to test and approve other Denim updates as and when they reach us - that is to confirm that we have not yet received updates for any other Lumia (other than those above) to test. Again, i'll keep you updated as and when we receive other updates for testing.

19th Jan 2015 Update
What models are getting the 'full treatment' and which are just OS updates?
For the updates we have approved and sent back to Microsoft so far - that's the 520, 620, 625, 720 and 1320 - these are the newest updates to the Windows Phone operating system. They do not contain the full range of firmware updates such as the camera improvements that Denim is known for.

What updates are you waiting to receive for testing?
Okay... Deep breath! 530, 630, 635, 735, 820, 830, 920, 925, 930, 1020 & 1520

Will those be the full Denim updates?
Mostly yes, with the exception of the 820 & 920 which will receive a similar OS update to the aforementioned models.

When will you get them and when will we get to download it?
We don't currently have any ETA for receiving these from Microsoft but we'll be sure to keep you updated as and when that changes. Once we have approved the updates, we'll send them back to Microsoft to schedule it for release to customers - this typically takes 1-2 weeks after we approve.

Last words
I know waiting for these updates can be frustrating. I'd like to emphasise that we're sorting the testing out as soon as we get updates and sending them back for release - we're absolutely on the ball with these updates and will do everything we can to limit the time it will take for you to receive this, but some of the process is outside our control (eg, the update being scheduled for release to customers) and we'll do all we can to keep you in the loop.

3rd Feb Update
Denim for the 635 and 1520 are out now. Please see below for info relating to the 930 update

We’re trying to get the updates out sooner by streamlining the test and approval process. As a result, we are trusting Microsoft to test the O2 software updates for us and provide the results of the tests for us to approve, rather than us testing it, releasing back, and waiting for it to be pushed. In the case of the Lumia 930, the Cortana issue was missed by Microsoft, so we will be working together to improve the process for future updates.

Microsoft have identified the issue and have fixed it - as a result, the previous 930 update has been put on hold until it's replaced with the fixed update which we hope will go out soon, though no ETA has been provided.

6th Feb Update
Hi all, just a quick update with regards to the fixed 930 update. We've been given the heads up from Microsoft that this is scheduled to start pushing out from 6pm tonight (Friday 6th Feb). If you don't see the update immediately then don't worry - in case their servers are a bit busy, we'd suggest trying again a few hours later should you encounter any issues.

11th Feb Update

Hi everyone, just another update to let you know that the Denim update for the Lumia 925 and 1020 will be going live tonight! I know owners of these devices will be keen to update quickly so please do let us know how you get on.
Other Lumia owners... I know the wait is excruciating but hopefully not long before yours is made live too.

7th March Update

Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know that the Denim update for the Lumia 530 and 735 are now available OTA, and this should conclude all O2 devices now having Denim available to them. I know it's been a frustrating wait for many but we've done all we could to streamline the process and we're pleased the updates are now all readily available.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 615
614 REPLIES 614

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Daddydoink wrote:

Hello @Chris_K - I have been in a bit of a discussion with a colleague in Microsoft, formerly of a major network who has advised me that all of the Denim update should be with operators.  This leads me to the following conclusions that:

1. O2 has genuinely not received the updates, in which case it should publically be asking why not; or
  2. O2 has it and you have been mislead by others, which should mean an apology to customers and a bit of focus;

I assure you it's #1 - and our device team are in regular discussion with Microsoft and we're trying to find out why it may have launched on another network first. Something I need to re-iterate though is that the Microsoft update schedule and process is anything but simple - they handle hundreds of updates across countless networks and countries. They too need to perform unbelievably amounts of testing - it's entirely possible that during this process some updates may make it to some networks before others (which also means you could see some lumia updates on O2 before others), but we understand how frustrating it is seeing an update available on another networks first... Again, it's something we're looking into.

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm still at a loss as to why the carriers have to stick their oar into the update process anyway. Apple avoid such meddling and aside from breaking a few handsets with dodgy updates they've not brought an entire network down. Indeed, I've used an unlocked, unbranded handset with an o2 sim and I'm unaware of any mobile masts that have spontaneously combusted as a result.

Aside from our testing process sometimes spotting bugs or issues that we don't feel comfortable releasing to customers, our testing ensures that the phone runs as expected and intended on our network. While one stray handset with untested/unapproved software may not cause any issues - if an update hit several thousand handsets that wasn't optimised then it could cause some issues on our end. Our testing helps ensure you have a reliable experience on our network.

I want to make this clear in the hope it provides a bit or clarity - this is a complicated process that we unfortunately can't control. Once Microsoft send us the updates, we test and approve them - and then send back to MS to release them. It's at that stage where things are largely out of our hands and all we can do is regularly catch up with them to try and push it forward. For the updates we're yet to receive - we can only question why this is and emphasise how much our customers want it - but this is again outwith our control and we need to wait for it to be sent to us. I can promise that there will be many networks in this same position. It's not an easy process and it will take Microsoft many weeks to saturate Denim to all the networks and countries they deal with... They can't launch all updates at once to all countries or networks.

A bit of good news I can share is that the update is now live for the 520, 620, 720 & 625. I'll keep you posted on others.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 121 of 615

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for keeping us in the loop, very excited waiting for denim update for 1020
Message 122 of 615

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Chris. I'm sure you appreciate how frustrating it is for us as the enhancements that Denim brings to most Lumia handsets is quite significant. Hopefully the excitement we are showing will demonstrate that Windows Phone remains an important OS in the mobile market, even if it doesn't always receive the sales or headlines that iOS or Android do.

Message 123 of 615

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe there is uncertain times ahead for O2 UK, as talks of a buy out, or, merge to combat exiting huge dept by Telephonica. We will see. t

Message 124 of 615

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris_K  Firstly many thanks for your update, its good to get feedback.  However I think part of the questions asked by others may have been overlooked.

I do understand why you have to "test" your (O2's) build of the firmware/software to ensure it doesn't cause issues, what I don't understand is that if I were to go into say CFW or similar and purchase an unbranded "Country Variant" Lumia and pop in an O2 sim card, I can use the phone on O2 without issue. 

How does the O2 build differ and why, surely given the Country Variant works simply by putting an O2 sim inside it, do O2 need to spend time testing their own build.  If its to optimise the build to O2, why is this, what extras does this bring? The fact I can make and receive calls, view the web etc and use the phone makes the exercise of your own build somewhat redundant.

Of course if I have missed anything or my simple logic is incorrect and there are legitimate technical reasons behind O2 having its own build please do advise as i'd like to understand so as not to feel frustrated any further.

Message 125 of 615

ianh
Level 3: Thinker
  • 68 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

For one, I believe you won't get visual voicemail. There may be other features

Message 126 of 615

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you can bin Windows Phone 8.1 Denim, as.... Microsoft said today at their Windows 10 briefing that they will be releasing a new preview build of Windows 10 to Insiders next week. The new build will be available in 25 languages. Microsoft also announced a preview build of Windows 10 for phones. That will be available for Insiders in February.

Message 127 of 615

Anonymous
Not applicable
Denim brings firmware improvements such as 4K video, not just stuff on the OS side.
Message 128 of 615

ianh
Level 3: Thinker
  • 68 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Only to the latest high-end phones

@Anonymous wrote:
Denim brings firmware improvements such as 4K video, not just stuff on the OS side.

Message 129 of 615

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you can bin Windows Phone 8.1 Denim, as.... Microsoft said today at their Windows 10 briefing that they will be releasing a new preview build of Windows 10 to Insiders next week. The new build will be available in 25 languages. Microsoft also announced a preview build of Windows 10 for phones. That will be available for Insiders in February.

Dunno, if you intend to use a Lumia device as your main phone it's very risky to update to the Windows 10 preview… I would rather update to the carrier approved Denim update.

Message 130 of 615