cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cortana & Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

I've heard that WP 8.1 Update 1 is rolling out to the Lumia 930 devices at the moment, anyone know when other handsets will get the update? Is O2 involved in this update like they were with 8.1 itself?

I have the 1520 and can't wait to upgrade!

Cheers!

Message 1 of 115
114 REPLIES 114

Anonymous
Not applicable
If O2 are really serious about supporting WP, then they are in danger of dropping the ball here. I stayed with them whilst I made the switch from iOS as I was led to believe that they were the most forward-thinking of the networks for WP. I've friends bragging about EE and Cortana and I've no comeback. Awkward.
Message 21 of 115

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
If O2 are really serious about supporting WP, then they are in danger of dropping the ball here. I stayed with them whilst I made the switch from iOS as I was led to believe that they were the most forward-thinking of the networks for WP. I've friends bragging about EE and Cortana and I've no comeback. Awkward.

Is it possible your friends have a Lumia 930 which came with 8.1 (with Cortana) and already has the 8.1 GDR1 update available for it, or perhaps are running an 8.1 GDR1 developer preview? I do not believe non-930 updates are currently available to specific networks yet, though we do only receive info/updates that are specifically for us - so I can't be 100% there.

As you can see from the extensively updated 8.1 thread I created here, I hope this shows how committed O2 are to serving the Windows Phone community and ensuring you all have the latest updates as quickly as possible. We don't yet have further info regarding GDR1 or Denim from MS/Nokia but as soon as we have more info to share, we will.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 22 of 115

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Chris. Excuse the rant,
Will
Message 23 of 115

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's great to see so many people enjoying Windows Phone and eager to get the latest update!

Hopefully it'll roll out soon! I hear video recording in 4k@30fps is on the way for the 1530! 😄

For now, we wait...

Message 24 of 115

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's now been two weeks since Chris said the update was in testing. Either o2 have found a major issue with it that no other carrier has experienced or o2 are dragging their feet on this. Either way it's frustrating for us loyal customers, especially when EE have managed to push out the release so rapidly.
Message 25 of 115

Mrnick
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It's a joke how long O2 are taking with this update. Especially with the key features offered ie Cortana, tile folders.

I have ordered a Vodafone nano sim and if that comes before the update I will unlock my 930.

I find its the only problem with O2 and windows phone, slow to update there phones.

come O2 pull your finger out.

customers are waiting.

Message 26 of 115

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a shame that we're not even given a timeframe, for all we know it could actually be months away.

Mark

Message 27 of 115

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree, I would have thought that the update was released to everyone at the same time to give a level playing field. All you get as an answer from O2 is its in testing, how long does testing take?? It either works out it doesn't.
Message 28 of 115

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just one of the pitfalls of having your handset supplied by the network providor, this is a reason I would rather save up & buy a handset sim free.

O2 testing normally means they have to check the updates works with all there CRapp's wink

The generic Microsoft / Nokia 930 software works perfectly fine here for me on Three, I also get a decent 4G signal as well.

Message 29 of 115

Anonymous
Not applicable
I normally go sim free also, but the lure of visual voicemail was too great. To be honest I'm not fussed about Cortana (never used it during my brief dalliance on the dev preview) but I will be mighty dischuffed if the Denim upgrade takes longer than a week or so to filter out, as the camera updates tar brings sound rather nifty.
Message 30 of 115