cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for receiving texts abroad (out of Europe)?

Malo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello all,

I was recently charged for receving text when I was abroad, out of Europe. 

I have 2 sims with O2. 1. business contract and 2. pay monthly contract.

I enquired at O2 shop, who told me that the only way we do not get charged is to keep our phone in Airoplane Mode, and use only when have Wifi connection, when not in Europe.

Does anyone have similar experience?

Does other networks do the same?

Thanks

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Malo wrote:
I had been to Egypt,,, yes I thought receiving texts is free.

@MaloThey are free in Eygpt as expected

Travel Eygpt.PNG

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 25

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Malo
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Absolutely right.
I did read it.
I called O2 twice to confirm if i’ll Be charged when i’m Abroad. Both said, yes, I will be and that it’s been like that for a while.
I have been to other Asian countries before and was never charged for receiving texts.
These two, didn’t even want to pass my call to their manager, so that I could clarify.
I even went to O2 shop in Leicester, and enquired. That lady also voiced the same!!!
Message 13 of 25

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It’s a shame that no one who works for o2 actually knows anything about o2 or the mobile phone industry at all !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 25

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Don't know

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Training?? That's a bit rich. 3 O2 employees all saying the op would be charged for receiving a text.

Why are they unable to read the same info posted here?

Beggars belief really...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 25

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Training?? That's a bit rich. 3 O2 employees all saying the op would be charged for receiving a text.

Why are they unable to read the same info posted here?

Beggars belief really...

Truly incredible that employees don't now the absolute basics about using a phone abroad.

Message 18 of 25

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Malo and everyone, just checked on our end as well around this in case we can clarify.

You may be charged for receiving SMS while abroad for 2 possible reasons.

• Receiving the SMS itself would not be chargeable, but if you have O2 Travel (£4.99 per day) and this was the first/only access of the day, you would receive the daily charge. This would also happen if you were to make one call or access data as your first usage of the day.
  • The other way you can be charged is if the SMS received is a “Premium rate service” and not a normal SMS from another mobile user. This would also be the case if you were in the UK.

Without looking at your account specifically @Malo we can't tell if this is the case for you, but hoping this sheds some light on when you might get charged for receiving texts abroad.

Message 19 of 25

Malo
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have international roaming facility. But the moment you land in any country, you receive a text from the service provider welcoming us to that country and that we will be using their service. At the same time, we also receive text from O2 telling about roaming charges / day etc.
I still cannot understand what you mean by 'Receiving the SMS itself would not be chargeable, but if you have O2 Travel (£4.99 per day) and this was the first/only access of the day, you would receive the daily charge. This would also happen if you were to make one call or access data as your first usage of the day.'
If you or your affiliated foreign mobile company sends us a message, first thing when you land in other country, will I be charged?
I have not sent any message or used any data or received any phone calls (other than Wifi assisted).
Hence was and is the doubt!
Message 20 of 25