cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for receiving texts abroad (out of Europe)?

Malo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello all,

I was recently charged for receving text when I was abroad, out of Europe. 

I have 2 sims with O2. 1. business contract and 2. pay monthly contract.

I enquired at O2 shop, who told me that the only way we do not get charged is to keep our phone in Airoplane Mode, and use only when have Wifi connection, when not in Europe.

Does anyone have similar experience?

Does other networks do the same?

Thanks

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

chrisymon
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 134 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

certain countries you are in will charge for receiving texts. Options is like advised turn on aeroplane mode. Or if you require services active you could try using o2 travel 4.99 a day 120 texts 120 mins calls and unlimited  cap data.

And if you going to be making international calls from the uk which will charge ask about international bolt on via our customer services.

"I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited." Currently using S7 edge
Message 2 of 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143418 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Thought can check any relevant costs on the international travel pages here http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad but usually free to receive a text anywhere.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Malo

Just out of interest, what country were you in when you were charged?

Welcome to the forum by the way Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 25

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's free to receive texts abroad. I have travelled extensively in Asia and the Americas and never been charged for a text. If it's a mms and you download it then data charges apply.

Message 5 of 25

Malo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I had been to Egypt,,, yes I thought receiving texts is free.
Message 6 of 25

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 7 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It's free to receive texts abroad. I have travelled extensively in Asia and the Americas and never been charged for a text. If it's a mms and you download it then data charges apply.

@jonsieI was thinking the same. In fact, I have been and checked 9 random counties listed above on the link posted by @MI5 and they all say this...

"and it's always free to receive a text"

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 25

MI5
  • 143418 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
That's what I'd always believed too. Just wasn't sure if there was some random country somewhere that you could be charged in or on a satellite system for example?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 25

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
@Malo Easiest way to avoid charges in the future is to use WhatsApp over WiFi, but both parties need to have the app.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 25