cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can o2 customers upgrade somebody elses's phone as a gift?

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi there this is nothing to do with my o2 or phone. it is just a question. My boyfriend is also an o2 customer and has been for a while and for xmas i would like to buy him a new mobile phone but i was going to get it as an upgrade is there any chance this can be done in store without him finding out i.e no texts to be sent to his mobile phone but me still being able to upgrade it? x

Message 1 of 26
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144159 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Oh my word what's confusing on here is that u end up replying back to one and it creates confusion to all! I understand I cant do a payg upgrade in my boyfriends name, so then I asked if I had just upgraded my payg phone am I allowed to go through the payg upgrade again to get his? Even tho its the same phone and is it too early to upgrade as soon as I have? No contracts....nothing in his name...ignore the previous messages now do u all understand this?

If you quote people in your reply it makes it easier to follow wink

What your are asking is no different to just buying a phone for him, which is what you need to do.

There won't be any upgrade credit on your account if you've just done one so no benefit to you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Only the account holder can carry out an upgrade.

You can upgrade if your on O2 and gift him your upgrade.
Message 2 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122809 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I wouldn't imagine so. He is the contract holder at present so he would have to do it. The only way you could surprise him is to buy the handset outright...I presume......

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 26

MI5
  • 144159 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Absolutely not, sorry.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
I already have the same phone he is wanting and already used my upgrade.so doubt I could upgrade the same phone can I? Surely o2 cant refuse me an upgrade? X
Message 5 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122809 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I already have the same phone he is wanting and already used my upgrade.so doubt I could upgrade the same phone can I? Surely o2 cant refuse me an upgrade? X

Originally you asked if you could upgrade for your boyfriend for a present. The answer to that was no. He holds the contract and there is no way O2 would let you be involved in that. I tried to do the same for my son a couple of years ago and I was refused. Data protection would be a high factor.

I think your only option is to buy him the phone outright. ....then he continues with his contract but using the new phone?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 26

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
That's basically it, no ifs or buts, you cannot upgrade someone else's account, doing so would be fraudulent and obtaining credit by deception. Sorry
Message 7 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
No no he has no contract.what mean by upgrade is payg upgrade. If I cant do it under his then if I have already had done a payg upgrade on my phone can I still by another of the same phone and upgrade it under my name altho I did last upgrade a few months ago.is that allowed? X
Message 8 of 26

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

So now you are talking of getting another phone on your account. That's different altogether. It wouldn't be an upgrade at all. You would either be making a purchase outright (in which case you are better instore) or taking out an additional contract. Stock issues could be a problem so near to Christmas so instore or an independent such as CPW would be my choice.

Transferring his number is easy enough once you have the phone. Just be aware that taking out an additional contract means that you are responsible for the payments. Sometimes even the best relationships can end badly so be very sure before making any decision.

Message 9 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
No no he has no contract.what mean by upgrade is payg upgrade. If I cant do it under his then if I have already had done a payg upgrade on my phone can I still by another of the same phone and upgrade it under my name altho I did last upgrade a few months ago.is that allowed? X

Which is why I suggested "You can upgrade if your on O2 and gift him your upgrade."  😄

Payg upgrades typically save you the requested £10 top up in store. 

Message 10 of 26