cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry Z10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Really liking the look of what I saw this afternoon, and the launch of the Z10 coincides nicely with my renewal date, so very much on my shopping list. However, a couple of questions:

1. I got the impression that the Z10 no longer requires the BlackBerry data bolt-on. Am I right?
  2. If this is so, it follows that the Z10 can no longer take advantage of the data compression used hitherto by BlackBerry. Although I know my historical (compressed) data usage, it would be useful to know roughly the compression ratio used, so I can have a reasonable stab at estimating and speccing my future usage. Anyone any ideas?

I know pricing and packages have yet to be released, but hopefully if I do my homework, I can be near the front of the queue!

Thank you in anticipation.

Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149078 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28464 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote: 
  1. I got the impression that the Z10 no longer requires the BlackBerry data bolt-on. Am I right?
  2. If this is so, it follows that the Z10 can no longer take advantage of the data compression used hitherto by BlackBerry. Although I know my historical (compressed) data usage, it would be useful to know roughly the compression ratio used, so I can have a reasonable stab at estimating and speccing my future usage. Anyone any ideas?

1 - Correct, the specific data bolt on is no longer required. 2 - Data will still go through BIS so compression "may" still be applied, (its only the way users log on to BIS that is changing). BB have never released any compression ratio data - Much speculation but nothing concrete. Assume 2:1 to be safe.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MI5
  • 149078 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28464 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote: 

1 - Correct, the specific data bolt on is no longer required. 2 - Data will still go through BIS so compression "may" still be applied, (its only the way users log on to BIS that is changing). BB have never released any compression ratio data - Much speculation but nothing concrete. Assume 2:1 to be safe.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 23

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23949 Posts
  • 1045 Topics
  • 3770 Solutions

A less than stellar review of the new phone from CNET 

http://reviews.cnet.com/blackberry-z10/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks MI5

This fits with what little web 'gossip' I have managed to locate. Seems that RIM (oooops, BlackBerry) are expecting to take a hit on their network (BIS) revenues as they are no longer charging operators for access to the network.

So it would appear at the moment that BIS will still be in place but now free, presumably still requiring a dedicated BlackBerry SIM, and hopefully still providing compression. I can't see how push services like BBM could otherwise operate.

As you say, much speculation, but nothing concrete. It would be useful for O2 and/or BlackBerry to clarify - I am sure I am not alone in doing the upgrade sums.

Message 4 of 23

MI5
  • 149078 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28464 Solutions
BB have kept quiet about it from day one and I doubt O2 would know the compression figures as the data doesn't even see O2 servers.....

All your assumptions re BIS are correct AFAIK...
Message 5 of 23

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3316 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I reckon it will still be a case of "having BIS provisioned on your account" rather like Vodafone do - one sim with just a tickbox as you can use it in any phone and still use the data part.

As for compression, thats a pain really especially as I live out where EDGE is just about there on a calm day. If they sort out this 4G upgrade then I could be happy otherwise, wifi it is. Found this interesting calculator via a canadian operator: http://web.telusmobility.com/data_calculator/

One of the other changes is that its no longer push email as it has moved to imap based. Not sure if thats a good thing but in reality, 15 mins isn't that bad.  (Quick search shows it may be quicker than 15mins).

BTW, current o2 offering till the 18th is quite good at £36 +1GB data with the Z10 free. 

Message 6 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all your help.

I spoke to someone at my local O2 store today, who confirmed Z10 access to the big wide world is through conventional, uncompressed internet.

Thanks to the O2 tariffs on offer, this isn't going to affect me unduly, but you may wish to be aware.

Despite (or maybe because of) my charm, she still didn't offer to upgrade me 6 days early!

Message 7 of 23

bluescreener
  • 81 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Good to see the UK and particularly O2 being the launchpad for this device. I guess this is going to be make-or-break time for Blackberry.

Whilst I was intitially tempted, I'm reluctant to be an early adopter. If it's seen to flop then introductory offers will no doubt be extended, heavier discounts applied (me speculates Smiley Indifferent). Instead I got my hands on a Playbook which works nicely with my Bold 9780 and I'll sit tight and await the Blackberry 10 upgrade for this.

At the trailing edge of technology.
Message 8 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apparently, UK sales have been great. Some stores saying they're sold out, others experiencing "robust demand".

I'm also waiting for BB10 on my Playbook grin Shame the mobile devices wouldn't be getting any BB10 updates :(.
Message 9 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed. Just got hold of a Playbook, and really like the way BlackBerry are going. The hardware feels right and the software feels intuitive, hence my intention to be first in the queue at my local O2 shop this Saturday!

I don't have any qualms about early adopting - the Z10 is indeed a make or break device for BlackBerry and I am sure any major issues will be sorted out quickly with the world's spotlight on them. My only slight concern is the relative lack of quality apps available on the new platform, but I guess that's a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

I assume the architecture / hardware of previous mobile devices isn't up to running BB10. BB6 devices weren't even capable of running BB7.

Must also echo bluescreener's comments - it was particularly good to have the Z10 available virtually immediately in the UK, and indeed O2's committment in making it happen.

Message 10 of 23