cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry Bold 9900 Sticky Keys

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I had my blackberry 9900 replaced in April as the shift key kept getting stuck and I would end up with capital letters followed by . mid sentance they told me it was a software problem. Now three months on and my delete key randomly likes to delete letters as i'm typing and other keys sometimes stick also, my trackball works fine in some applications but when i'm in a text message for example it won't scroll around. I have the latest software, can anyone tell me if its my keyboard getting dirt in it or if it sounds like a software problem again?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Asdic_Ping wrote:

I think I read somewhere that this is a common fault on the 9900/9930 and the problem is caused by dust and grime getting under the keyboard. If a battery pull doesn't cure the problem, I can't see how it can be software related, but having said that I'm no expert.

It didnt make sense to me, but people on Crackberry at the time were saying that the software upgrade fixed the problem...and it did! I didn't have any problems with dodgy keys for over 9 months after upgrading to a leaked OS.

Its only now causing a problem again for my friend so I might end up wiping it and re-installing it to sort it. 

Bare in mind that I did drop the 9900 in a (clean) toilet and it still works like new so I dont think a wee bit of dust is going to stop it doing its job! wink

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had much the same problem with problem keys on my 9900, and to be honest when I updated to a newer Operating system it resolved the problem.

However I gave the phone to a friend and she's told me that its happening again with different buttons (although thats been about 12 months since I updated the software on it!).

Would you know how to wipe the phone and re-install the operating system on the phone?

Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the latest software, do you think wiping it and re installing it would help? or downgrading to an older version?

I have wiped a blackberry and reinstalled on a curve before using a 3rd party piece of software, is there an official way to do wipe it?

I had my previous phone for a year before it started doing it but this one has taken only 3 months, got another 9 months left on my contract to 😞

Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest, I dont know! Smiley LOL

But I dont think wiping and re-installing would hurt to give it a try. Just make sure you've backed up the phone in Desktop Manager, dont rely on Blackberry Protect!

What version of the operating system do you have?

Message 4 of 6

Asdic_Ping
  • 87 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I think I read somewhere that this is a common fault on the 9900/9930 and the problem is caused by dust and grime getting under the keyboard. If a battery pull doesn't cure the problem, I can't see how it can be software related, but having said that I'm no expert.

BlackBerry 9300, 9810 & Playbook
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Asdic_Ping wrote:

It didnt make sense to me, but people on Crackberry at the time were saying that the software upgrade fixed the problem...and it did! I didn't have any problems with dodgy keys for over 9 months after upgrading to a leaked OS.

Its only now causing a problem again for my friend so I might end up wiping it and re-installing it to sort it. 

Bare in mind that I did drop the 9900 in a (clean) toilet and it still works like new so I dont think a wee bit of dust is going to stop it doing its job! wink

Message 6 of 6