cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlackBerry Internet Service shutdown date?

Shadowbolt
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm sitting pretty using a BB Curve 8520 right now, and I've noticed how most other UK carriers have switched off their BIS servers. If O2 will do the same (which they most likely will, unfortunately), does anyone have an idea of when it might happen?

Thanks

Currently using a BlackBerry Bold 9780.

Just a person trying to get through life without having issues with their phone. This, obviously, won't happen.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @Shadowbolt and all, and thanks for the tag @MI5 . I do vaguely remember looking into this some time ago. thinking Let me have a fresh look around for some info on our end in case I can find anything to share about this. slight_smile

To add, please do share on your end too if you ended up getting any helpful info from customer service  since you last posted! thumbsup

P.S. I remember my BB Curve. heart_eyes Absolutely loved it! Also had one in pink colour, although that might not have been the 8520 but something older.

Message 11 of 19

Shadowbolt
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Marjo Unfortunately, I got nothing from O2 customer service when I contacted them about it and another issue I was having. To be honest, the impression I was getting from both reps that I talked to was that they had absolutely no clue what I was talking about, and that they'd never heard of BlackBerry or BIS.

I don't think I'll be getting much out of CS, but if I have to contact them again, I'll be sure to ask about the shutdown date again.

However, I suppose BIS may have an intended global shutdown date on the 31st December 2019, as a lot of BlackBerry services (including BlackBerry App World) are supposed to be permanently switched off then. Just an idea, though.

Currently using a BlackBerry Bold 9780.

Just a person trying to get through life without having issues with their phone. This, obviously, won't happen.
Message 12 of 19

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Cheers for the update on your end @Shadowbolt and sorry to hear you didn't get anything useful from CS earlier. I'm waiting to see if we have anything internally over here still. Hang in there. slight_smile

Message 13 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Any news @Marjo ?
Thread is "solved" with no definitive answer......?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Any news @Marjo ?
Thread is "solved" with no definitive answer......?

Quite true Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 19

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey guys, I'm still waiting to hear back on my end I'm afraid! Will pop a reply here as soon as I get anything.

Message 16 of 19

Soundgeek
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 say they will turn off BIS 5-Jan-2022

Message 17 of 19

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Soundgeek wrote:

O2 say they will turn off BIS 5-Jan-2022

Yes correct.

We never got any confirmation originally when asked but it has since been announced.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 19

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Soundgeek @MI5 

Just to be absolutely clear.. Blackberry are turning off all the infrastructure on the 4th Jan 2022, o2 have zero say in this decision.

This was announced by Blackberry on the 13th September 2020, so customers still on these old platforms have had 15 months to transition. 

Blackberry have already warned phone calls and SMS maybe affected and telling affected customers to move off BB7.x and BB10 devices... 

Full details are here BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry OS Services FAQ — End of Life 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 19 of 19