cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BLACKBERRY PASSPORT review - Size does matter !

Anonymous
Not applicable

As promised, after 3 weeks of intensely  playing with my new Toy here is my review from the moment I've opened the parcel until today! Unlike other reviews I will
not focus to much on the technical stuff, so it will probably resemble a blog sometimes, but it will give you a better perspective from your average user point of view.

passportgold.png

So, moment of truth! The parcel was delivered when I was out! Unwrapped the plastics bit ( see, loads of technical words), and there it was a plain black box with the Blackberry symbol on it.
   Opened it, and loads of little compartments and a manual that looked like a passport,a charger,headphones, data cable where all there. A little foam thing was covering it...lifted it and...
IT's not big....It's HUGE!! Oh my God!
Calmed myself down and took it out... It's now heavy and huge! I'm sending it back!!
   Ok ! Calm down!!!  Put it on and try it, you have 14 days. If after a few days u still think the same send it back. Sounded like a plan!

Switched it on. First impression...fast...very fast! Menu comes up. Hum, very clear. Ok, after a little fight ( ok,a long fight ) with the little "door" that opens for the sim card and the memory card to go in, signed on to my BB account and we are set, no need to transfer anything.
  First thing to check out, the Hub. It is and will always be my favorite Blackberry feature. Easy to set up, all email accounts added, whats app, facebook, twitter set. One, two, three getting all messages in the same place again (including sms).
  So lets try whats app to see if this new xl rubbery keys are easier to use, oh predictive text is on, mental note, turn it off it's annoying! Oh wait... it doesn't change your words to something ridiculous,
it gives u 3 suggestions, you select the right one, and based on what u typed so far it will suggested commonly used words. Hey this is useful! I can now write a txt in just a few seconds only by typing a few initials and then just tap tap tap!
   Cool! And it's fast, very fast.This screen is very responsive!
So onto the browser, again fast to open ( shall I mention that the 5 bars of 4G coverage help?). Oh, it's easy to browse with a screen this big, and I can choose mobile version or full version (that for once doesn't involve scrolling to the side,up and down because the screen is not big enough.
   So, not that I'm one for apps but since the amazon app store is here might as well test it to see if it can really use android apps and... It can ! So what else ? oh, have I mentioned I can scroll without a scroll button?? It's like a sensor scroll button thingy (technical again, sorry) in the middle of the keyboard.
   The usual brilliant features such as the calendar where all revamped and are now looking very stylish, there's also a task option that is very handy and this can all be voice activated. Useful stuff like maps, compass,etc are all there and of course all the major apps like, facebook, twitter, dropbox, youtube, etc...
  So what makes it so different (besides the odd looks)? The revamped BB features. The hub being one of them, docs to go is brilliant, you can work on Office documents on the go, that are saved in the correct format, and then you can sync it with ur BB account so you don't even need to transfer it to ur pc ( u can pair up pcs, laptops,t ablets...) and like TUGO once they are paired you can used them for voice calls,video calls and sms!
  You also have smart tags if your into the scanning bar codes thing, I have to say not my thing.The tutorials are brilliant because if you are anything like me and don't have the patience for manuals and find yourself stuck sometimes,this is a must have!

So now I'm not really worried about the 14 days or how big the phone is!!I love it!

Ok, now a bit of technical stuff then! Below are the main features, and they don't just look good on paper.

General

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
  HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100
4G Network LTE 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600
  LTE 700/800/850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600
(Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 20)
SIM Nano-SIM
Announced 2014, June
Status Available. Released 2014, September

Body

Dimensions 128 x 90.3 x 9.3 mm (5.04 x 3.56 x 0.37 in)
Weight 196 g (6.91 oz)
Keyboard QWERTY
  - Capacitive touch 3-row BlackBerry keyboard

Display

Type IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size 1440 x 1440 pixels, 4.5 inches (~453 ppi pixel density)
Multitouch Yes, up to 10 fingers
Protection Corning Gorilla Glass 3

Sound

Alert types Vibration, MP3 ringtones
Loudspeaker Yes, with stereo speakers
3.5mm jack Yes

Memory

Card slot microSD, up to 128 GB
Internal 32 GB, 3 GB RAM

Data

GPRS Yes
EDGE Yes
Speed HSDPA, HSUPA, LTE
WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, Wi-Fi hotspot
Bluetooth v4.0, A2DP, LE
NFC Yes
USB microUSB v2.0 (SlimPort)

Camera

Primary 13 MP, 4128 x 3096 pixels, autofocus, optical image stabilization, LED flash, check quality
Features Geo-tagging, face detection, HDR
Video 1080p@60fps, check quality
Secondary 2 MP, 720p

Features

OS BlackBerry 10.3 OS
Chipset Qualcomm MSM8974AA Snapdragon 801
CPU Quad-core 2.26 GHz Krait 400
GPU Adreno 330
Sensors Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
Messaging SMS, MMS, Email, Push Email, IM, BBM 6
Browser HTML5
Radio FM radio with RDS
GPS Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS
Java Yes, MIDP 2.1
Colors Black, White
  - BlackBerry Assistant
- BlackBerry maps
- Organizer
- Document viewer
- Photo viewer/editor
- Video editor
- brilliant/useful/WAV/eAAC+/FlAC player
- DivX/XviD/MP4/WMV/H.263/H.264 player
- Voice memo/dial
- Predictive text input

Battery

Non-removable Li-Ion 3450 mAh battery
Stand-by Up to 432 h (2G) / Up to 444 h (3G)
Talk time Up to 18 h (2G) / Up to 23 h (3G)
Music play Up to 84 h

Misc

Price group

Tests

Camera Photo / Video

Passport_Black_Front.png

In a Nutshell, the passport is odd looking and it will take you a few days to get use to but if it's a work phone you are after then look no further! Very sensitive and responsive the generous screen will make anything from a google search, a you tube video clip or a spreadsheet a very enjoyable experience.Why use a tablet? The professional apps are amazing and the BB store has quite a few of them built specifically for Blackberry and and if you have a lot to do or remember it has just what you need. Want to take a few pictures when taking a break? No problem, the 13 mp camera is really good.And after doing all this there's no need to recharge it...the battery will last you quite a long time.

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi rosadosc

Very nice review and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

One day we might see the likes of these fantastic blackberry devices being supplied by O2 again. 😄
Message 2 of 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Awesome, thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts.
I must say it does look very nice slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Lovely personal review @Anonymous 

I could feel how excited you were when you opened the magic box....Smiley Very Happy .....

So....now then...?  This phone is bigger than you expected but you have obviously got used to the way it handles?

Well done you. Your first review. A pleasure to read....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

right, just for the record, no i was not drunk when I wrote this.

Something happened with the copy and paste!!! after the sounded like a plan most of it is mixed and some of it is scrambled!! I pressed send when i was leaving and didnt go back to read it and now just came to have a look and nearly had an Issy fit! And it doesn't let me edit or delete!!

Message 5 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

After 60 mins the edit button times out. if you want to change it you have to PM @Toby  and he will open it again for you to edit...

I actually enjoyed it as it was.

Sometimes though the Copy and paste function needs to be previewed before posting.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

you have no idea how annoyed i am! the best bits are all missing I actually reviewed all the apps and its all gone!Crazy

Message 7 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

at least its not gone...i still have it at work, i wrote the original in a word document because it was done slowly... gutted Destroy

Message 8 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I haven't actually done a review but I have used a number of articles copied in one post...Once I had the same thing happen. I presumed inadvertently I had pressed a delete button. Fortunately I read it as it was posted and was able to go back in and add the stuff that was missing...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

OK...panic not. Just PM @Toby or @Anonymous  and ask them to re-open your review, They will do it for you....

I think from these comments now people will realise you want to amend it wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 27