cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

950 More expensive on o2 than to buy sim free from MS direct?

Littlekt
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Just been into the O2 shop super excited to upgrade to the new 950 (I was even willing to forego the XL to stay with O2 proper, and they are charging £519.99 for the phone when the RRP sim free from MS direct is only £419.99. Are there plans to slash this price (and quickly!) or do I need to go to Caroline warehouse to not over pay?
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
That's the best way but you can buy a 950 from giffgaff on the knock too, unlocked and sim free so you can use any sim https://www.giffgaff.com/microsoft/microsoft-lumia-950/phone-details

Yes I looked at an unlocked iPhone 6 from giffgaff (for a family member) paying monthly for the phone. It was a damn good deal......but then I found 'some money from somewhere' and bought one outright....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 29

Pureview
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 30 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Cheers, will look into this option. Just a thought but maybe O2 should not give such an advantage to CPW as free handsets must be a big draw, no other provider seems to be undercut so badly or the days of No1 may be over. Prehaps invest these millions in providing the ultimate network !

Message 22 of 29

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Well, I'm the same. Used CPW to upgrade my O2 account. No upfront fee for the phone and £9 a month cheaper
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 23 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

I went into an O2 shop yesterday, and I just learned what was also stated above - getting a new phone on refresh also gets a new contract!?  That's nuts - the new contract I was offered (on top of an overpriced phone) was more expensive than my current Refresh contract, whilst giving me less data.   I'm screwed on both the phone and the contract!

I'd say that Refresh only makes sense for people who do not change phones - they can stay on a contract without paying for a phone that is now paid off.  For everyone else, new handset from CPW!

Message 24 of 29

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
There will be times when refresh works out cheaper... Just can't provide an example at the moment wink
Message 25 of 29

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
It doesn't suit everyone, for sure. We've already established that.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 26 of 29

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Many people get good benefits from Refresh. Its not always about the fees and tariff. Obviously if thats your criteria then do your research and go for the best deal.

Message 27 of 29

Pureview
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 30 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just got my 950 from CPW with unlimited calls, texts and 1gb of data for £59.99 upfront and £27.50 a month. A tidy saving of £220. Seems a bit crazy to me as it is cheaper than buying the phone outright  from anyware and the same bundle by over £100. Have not had a good play with it yet but seems like a good step from my 1020. Hope the camera is as good as they say it is.

Message 28 of 29

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
You won't be disappointed @Pureview
Message 29 of 29