cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

950 More expensive on o2 than to buy sim free from MS direct?

Littlekt
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Just been into the O2 shop super excited to upgrade to the new 950 (I was even willing to forego the XL to stay with O2 proper, and they are charging £519.99 for the phone when the RRP sim free from MS direct is only £419.99. Are there plans to slash this price (and quickly!) or do I need to go to Caroline warehouse to not over pay?
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ouch, I just saw the price as well... Was hoping for a good deal on refresh but will get it from somewhere else instead.  Even other high street stores (John Lewis, CPW) are selling this phone for 100 less than O2. 😞

Message 11 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Ouch, I just saw the price as well... Was hoping for a good deal on refresh but will get it from somewhere else instead.  Even other high street stores (John Lewis, CPW) are selling this phone for 100 less than O2. 😞

Yes so we have heard. You dont get Refresh however.....so you have to go with the best deal for yourself..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 29

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The price will come down later but if you want the phone now then choose the best source for your needs.

Message 13 of 29

Pureview
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 30 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

There is no advantage to Refresh if you decide to go for a new handset. you have to start a brand new contract and pay off the remaining owed. If the handset is paid for you 2yr contract is over, so does not explain the premium price over the real value, £520 v's £420. If we wait surely everybody else who sells the 950 will price cut tpp !  Maybe O2 don't want the hassle of stocking handsets and intend making revenue from line rental. Why is there not a standard 24 month contract if thia is a reason for overhiking handset prices, or maybe nobody told O2 the handset was pricecut before it eventually rolled out. All in all totally confused.

Message 14 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

When I changed to contract in January 2013 ...it was then a straightforward 24months. It was also a good deal as the phone I chose was part of a sale promotion. However I do now prefer to buy the the phone outright (lucky enough I am able to do that I suppose)....and go sim free. ....Each to their own...:smileywink:

+

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 29

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Pureview wrote:

There is no advantage to Refresh if you decide to go for a new handset. you have to start a brand new contract and pay off the remaining owed. 

The advantage is that you only have to pay off the handset and not the airtime.

Also you can sell or recycle the handset to offset some or all of the cost.

It does, however, only work if you change phones often, otherwise there's no real benefit.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 29

Pureview
  • 30 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Now sort of understand, but why not a regular 24 month contract instead of letting other parties take your customers. All are offering the 950 for less if you work out the end cost for a similar plan, EE, Voodoophone, not sure about Three but I seem to remember looking. I wish it was possible to buy outright but I am a low pay worker, so need to spread the cost.

Message 17 of 29

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
O2 rely on CPW to sell their non refresh contracts for them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 29

Pureview
  • 30 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thought as much to be fair but hoped Iwas just plain cynical. O2 get a turnover of overpriced handsets for the must have the latest, then offset the cost of remaining airtime by overcharging for the phone. Probablly get one via CPW and maybe a different operator as my coverage round here has sunk to an all time low, blaming 4G rollout and much tinkering with masts. Will stick a PAYG sim in and suck it and see.

Message 19 of 29

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
That's the best way but you can buy a 950 from giffgaff on the knock too, unlocked and sim free so you can use any sim https://www.giffgaff.com/microsoft/microsoft-lumia-950/phone-details

Currently using:
Message 20 of 29