cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Phone 8.1 Update - All the info right here!

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Good news... We have some details on the software update everyone's waiting to get for their Nokia 3310!

Just kidding, we're here today to talk about the 8.1 Windows Phone update I know you're all waiting for. We've seen the posts, the tweets, the facebook comments... It's something you guys really want, so we're pleased to bring you more details and information on the new 8.1 update that's headed your way soon. Let's lay it out in an easy-to-read Q&A. We all love Q&A's right?

Why didn't we get this update on 24th June?
24th June was the official start date for the "lifecycle" of the 8.1 update. This wasn't necessarily the date when WP users would get the update, but merely the beginning of its life. From then, it would take Microsoft several weeks to push the update out across continents, countries and networks. We and the UK simply had to wait our turn, that's all.

Okay, okay... Where's my update?!
Don't worry, it's coming soon. We have already started testing the software on our key WP devices that will receive the 8.1 update. We're testing these to ensure the device performs as expected and without any major issues, and to ensure it performs as expected on our network. All-in-all, we want to make sure when the update leaves our hands and reaches yours, it works the way you expect it to.

A DATE! I WANT A DATE!
So do we, with Cheryl Cole if that's at all possible... Microsoft wants you to get this update as soon as possible. Nokia want their devices to get this update as soon as possible. And so do we - As soon as we're confident and happy the update will run smoothly for you, we'll release it back to Nokia for them to push out to our customers. Due to there being a lot of Lumia devices, we're unable to test them all at once so the update may launch at different dates for different devices. We hope and expect for the first 8.1 updates to begin rolling out towards the end of July with others following over a few weeks past then.

Good stuff... What about the Cyan firmware?
As some of you may know, Nokia are also working on a new firmware update they've called 'Cyan' (following on from the previous Black and Blue naming scheme). This will be bundled in alongside the 8.1 update your phone will receive from us, so there's no need to wait for a seperate update for it. What's this update about? Cyan is essentially an expansion on the 8.1 update you'll receive - it will include enhancements such as Bluetooth 4.0 LE support, a new 'Creative Studio' app, camera improvements, and some other device-specific updates too.

What new features can we look forward to in 8.1?
There's genuinely just too much to mention, so we'll highlight some of our favourites:
- Wi-Fi Sense
- Battery Sense
- Storage Sense
- Start screen customisation
- Word Flow keyboard
- New People Hub
- Improved Phone UI
- Action Centre and extended System Tray

You can find out more about what features the 8.1 update will include here

Our Gurus have also blogged about some of the great 8.1 features with videos over here

Anything else we can look forward to?
As a matter of fact, yes, and it will launch exclusively on O2. Visual Voicemail! Want it? You got it! We've been working closely with Nokia to implement this feature into our network and to get it enabled on devices with an O2 Pay Monthly SIM via the new 8.1 update. This works similarly to how it does on an iPhone - when you receive a voicemail it is downloaded to your handset and gives you visual controls to play, pause and delete. No more calling 901/Voicemail for you.

I've got my update. How do I use VVM?
It's easy and straight forward but requires you to activate it first. We've written a guide here on how to activate and use this new feature.

What Nokia devices will we see the 8.1 update on?
We're working on all of our portfolio devices, so this will include the 520, 620, 625, 720, 820, 920, 925, 1020, 1520. The above VVM feature will be bundled into the 8.1 update for these devices, but will not be enabled immediately for the new 8.1 devices - the 630, 635 & 930. We are again working closely with Nokia and the VVM feature will come to these devices as part of a future maintenance release. We don't have any dates ironed out yet but we'll keep you in the loop.

Will we have Cortana once we update?
Unfortunately not – the Cortana feature is being rolled out as a separate feature by Microsoft. The roll-out has already begun in some parts of the world but we’re within the UK we don’t expect to see this feature enabled until some time in Q4. Sorry for any frustration this causes as we know Cortana is a feature many are looking forward to. As rollout plans from Microsoft progress, we’ll keep you updated whenever we know more about release dates.

Windows Phone apps from O2?
The following apps are already available for WP 8.0 devices and should work absolutely fine on 8.1 too: Up at The O2, My Network, O2 Academy, O2 Tracks & O2 Priority Moments.

Where's O2 Wifi, TU Go and My O2?
Our team have been working on these tirelessly and we're looking to bring these to you soon. Don't worry, we'll make sure to keep you updated along the way!

Don't forget if you'd like to discuss any particular O2 app or would like help or assistance with any of the apps or their features, we have a dedicated O2 Apps board here

Fancy the chance to win a WP 8.1 powered Lumia 930?
What sort of a question is that? Of course you do... Join us on Twitter (@O2) from 9am Friday 18th July where we'll be running a series of games. We'll choose a winner from each game who'll win a Lumia.

More info on the competition over here

Release Info
The O2 update to 8.1 with VVM is now available on all Lumia devices

1st August Update

------------------------

Unfortunately many of the 8.1 updates had been slightly delayed in being pushed out to customers - this impacts all networks across all countries. It's important to understand that O2 have already approved all of the 8.1 updates which are sitting with Nokia - at this stage, there's little we can do to speed up the process as the last part of the equation is for the update to be released to customers.

On the other hand, it's also important to realise that Nokia have several hundred updates, all of which will differ from release to release. This spans across all network, all countries & all continents that Nokia operate in - it's a very important update for Nokia and their users so they want to get this right and ensure all updates go out as planned without any issues.

We have however met with Nokia and discussed this and we hope to have our updates streamlined and prioritised as much as possible. We currently hope to see updates begin rolling out again late next week but please bear the above in mind - unfortunately delays can happen, especially when the update is as big and widespread as 8.1.

VVM on 8.1 Devices (930, 630, 635)
We will shortly be approving a maintenance release for these devices which will be sent to Nokia to join our current queue of 8.1 updates awaiting being pushed out to customers. This update is only for enabling VVM - it won't include any other changes

VVM on Business tariffs?
Yep, it works - you got it!

Where's my update? WHERE IS ITTTTT?!?!?!
It's closer now more than ever! We're extremely, insanely, massively, immensely hopeful that the 8.1 update will roll out to the rest of the Lumia devices before this weekend. Given there's not many weekdays left this week... It'll be pretty soon.
------------------------------
18th Aug Update

VVM Update for Lumia 630/635/930
This update went live over the weekend so you should have it available to you now if it hasn't already been updated. Remember this update is only to enable VVM - it doesn't contain any other changes.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 329
328 REPLIES 328

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Why won't VVM be available to your customers who have an unbranded phone?

I don't understand why I should need the O2 firmware for this feature, as it's part of the default firmware (and has been since 7.5/Mango). iPhone owners also had it for years on their unbranded phones; so what's the difference here?

I'm a bit annoyed that you are telling customers to flash their phone with O2 firmware if they want this feature; yet in the same thread you also tell them that doing something like this would void their warranty. In reality, most users won't even be able to do this, and their only alternative is to buy a new O2 branded phone. A bit much to ask, no?

Surely there must be a solution to this? You may even attract customers to O2 if they know they can have this feature on their existing phones.

We wouldn't recommend flashing an O2 software build to non-O2 handsets. While this may be possible and may activate the VVM feature, installing software updates not meant for your phone could cause issues and may even void warranty.

If the VVM feature was only a network-activated feature then it would work on all Lumias, but this needs to be implemented into the software too which we have done as part of our testing/approval. This is why it won't work on unbranded devices... Their software hasn't had the feature activated/implemented.

This is the same as with the new 8.1 devices - the Lumia 930, 630 & 635 - Though they have 8.1, VVM hasn't yet been implemented into their software. We will need to launch a maintenance update (coming soon) to add this functionality to these new devices.

@Salem874 wrote:

@Chris_K wrote:

1520 owners (and other Lumias too)...The software has already been approved by us and is awaiting being pushed out to handsets...

So i take it that O2 have approved the Windows Phone 8.1/Lumia Cyan update for other devices as well as the 1520 (if not all elligible devices)? Is this correct?

Patiently waiting for my Lumia 1020 to be updated

At this point in time, all the Lumia models (incl. 1020) mentioned in my original post have had their 8.1 updates approved by us. It is now just a case of awaiting these updates being rolled out by Nokia. Again though, they have hundreds upon hundreds of versions to roll out across the world so do keep an eye out on your phone notifications as well as the Nokia rollout site.

Message 121 of 329

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nokia and O2 have stopped updating their roll out pages...for example neither mention that Cyan for the 530 was released last week...I know because my wife's phone updated last Thursday....so not much point in looking at something that won't change.

As usual it is communications companies that seem to be least able to communicate with their customers...
Message 122 of 329

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry that should read 520...😕
Message 123 of 329

Anonymous
Not applicable

Chris_K wrote: We wouldn't recommend flashing an O2 software build to non-O2 handsets. While this may be possible and may activate the VVM feature, installing software updates not meant for your phone could cause issues and may even void warranty.

If the VVM feature was only a network-activated feature then it would work on all Lumias, but this needs to be implemented into the software too which we have done as part of our testing/approval. This is why it won't work on unbranded devices... Their software hasn't had the feature activated/implemented.

This is the same as with the new 8.1 devices - the Lumia 930, 630 & 635 - Though they have 8.1, VVM hasn't yet been implemented into their software. We will need to launch a maintenance update (coming soon) to add this functionality to these new devices.

You may not recommend it, but you still hinted at the possibility on page 2 of this thread. Maybe you shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place.

The point is that VMM is part of the default Windows Phone software; or at least it was with 7.5. Maybe something has changed with 8.0/8.1, but in that case couldn't O2 continue to work with MS/Nokia to enable this for all their customers; not just the ones with a O2 branded phone. 

Instead of activating the feature as part of your software; it could just as easily be activated as part of the 8.1 software. However, I suspect the O2 might not be too willing to do this as they have more to gain if people buy a O2 branded handsets instead.

Message 124 of 329

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

You may not recommend it, but you still hinted at the possibility on page 2 of this thread. Maybe you shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place.

The point is that VMM is part of the default Windows Phone software; or at least it was with 7.5. Maybe something has changed with 8.0/8.1, but in that case couldn't O2 continue to work with MS/Nokia to enable this for all their customers; not just the ones with a O2 branded phone. 

Instead of activating the feature as part of your software; it could just as easily be activated as part of the 8.1 software. However, I suspect the O2 might not be too willing to do this as they have more to gain if people buy a O2 branded handsets instead.

As several users had asked about it, I wanted to ensure it was covered - I did also mention at the time that it wouldn't be supported, we wouldn't recommend it, and that it could cause issues and void warranty.

Again I'd like to highlight that the VVM feature needs to be activated both network-side and software side. Even if the feature was activated for your unbranded device on the O2 network - the unbranded 8.1 update you eventually receive is unlikely to have the VVM feature enabled. This is not something O2 has any control over as we do not have anything to do with unbranded or open market software updates.

Message 125 of 329

Anonymous
Not applicable

I fly out to Russia week on Monday it be so funny if i log onto Megafone Network there and get the update !!!!!

Message 126 of 329

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Fingers crossed then LOL

(mind you, me being technophobic...would worry what would happen when I returned to the UK I )

But then...as I say, that's just me wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 127 of 329

Anonymous
Not applicable

i'm still confused about the cyan update for developer preview users so would really like to know if the decision not to update 8.1 dp as an O2 one? or have Microsoft/ Nokia intervened?

Message 128 of 329

Anonymous
Not applicable

agree. it's really bad allowing operators to pick and choose if/ how/ when they update (their network locked) handsets.

Message 129 of 329

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

Firstly I want to thank you for updating this thread - we appreciate it!

Next I'd like to apologise on behalf of the entire internet for all the smart-a*** comments from us, we're all just excited to get the update to our phones. As Windows Phone users, we must fight the battle againt iPhone and Android users every day, and now we have Cyan/WP8.1 dangled in front of us, but don't have a firm date of when we'll actually get it.

Is there any way you could poke Nokia on behalf of your eagar fanbase and get an update from them about our.... update? I get that they have 100's of versions to roll out across the world, but just a vague idea would help us out!

Message 130 of 329