cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem connecting to free O2 wifi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have a new BlackBerry 9320 and have no problems connecting to wifi except for my local pub which provides free O2 wifi which I'm registered for.

My phone automatically connects to the pub wifi. However when I open a browser I get "Please open your web browser to activate wifi" which is what I've just done! And if I open another browser I get the same message repeated, so I cannot web browse.

I get this message whether or not I've logged into My O2 Wifi.

Any ideas? Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Simon

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Are you sure it's O2 Wi-Fi as there is no log in, it connects automatically?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 9

bluescreener
  • 81 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

You have to register your device for O2 Wifi (Is this done auomatically for new O2 mobile customer devices?). Each time you connect at a hotspot you will be directed to a browser hotspot login page to input your credentials. I'm using a Blackberry Bold device.

https://www.o2wifi.co.uk/my

Edit: You may with to check this thread on reporting O2 WiFi faults -

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/O2-WiFi-where-to-report-a-network-fault/m-p/578...

At the trailing edge of technology.
Message 3 of 9

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@bluescreener wrote:

@perksie wrote:

Each time you connect at a hotspot you will be directed to a browser hotspot login page to input your credentials. I'm using a Blackberry Bold device.

No that's wrong, once you have signed up to O2 Wi-Fi you are connected automatically.

If you are directed to a log in page it's not an O2 hotspot.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

First things first; Try disconnecting from the WiFi signal and delete it. Now reconnect, inserting any password it might ask for (if it has one). Once connected it should automatically open a browser to allow you to login but if not try opening the browser manually.

What happens?

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it's definitely O2. I think my phone detects the network but does not connect until I login. The problem is that when I open a browser to login, I get the "Please open your web browser to activate wifi" message.

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I followed your advice..... deleted O2 from my saved networks, re-booted, scanned for networks and connected to O2. It automatically opened a browser and for an instant started to load the venue's welcome page but after a couple of seconds the url address changed and reverted to the "Please open your web browser to activate wifi" message. Each time I open a new browser window it automatically routed me back to this page. So back to square one again.
My friend automatically navigated to the welcome page on his BB and sent me the url via BBM. I pasted this in and it worked, and I could access the wifi. However, I repeated the whole process again and I had the same problem, I could only access the welcome page from manually pasting the welcome url.
Perhaps when I switched device from my old 9300 the previous wifi settings may conflict with my new 9320 software? To this end I've re-set my wifi to factory settings this morning and will try again later in the week.
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats a strange one, especially since your friends BlackBerry displays the page correctly and connects to the Wifi without any problems.

You could be right about the device switch, but removing the wifi profile and reconnecting from new again should have resolved that.

Out of interest, do you have you installed the latest operating system on your 9320?

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
It says it's up-to-date:- 7.1.0 Bundle 2753
Message 9 of 9