Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (Advice please)

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I have recently acquired a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. It's great.

I am away in Yarmouth for the first weekend of Formula One! The site has Wifi but it's limited.

I can watch F1 via Sky streaming on the Pro  but I have a few queries....(Deep breath)

* I don't think this Pro has a sim slot so I presume I will be able to use a dongle with a 4G sim?

OR....I could do something I have never tried in my life......

* Tethering from my mobile phone....Fear

I need advice on what would be the best to do?.

(Please be aware that any advice I'm given (about tethering)  needs to be very very specific and guaranteed to work. Probably something I could try before I leave for the weekend? (24th March)

Thanks all...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Use the 4G Dongle you got for the note pro.
Same situation. Set up and power on the dongle, give it 5 minutes then connect to its wifi broadcast.
Easy innit

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Use the 4G Dongle you got for the note pro.
Same situation. Set up and power on the dongle, give it 5 minutes then connect to its wifi broadcast.
Easy innit
Message 2 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks...I had forgotten about that.

I know this may be a daft question to those in the know... but would using a separate dongle always be better than tethering from your mobile?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You don't have enough data on your phone to tether the entire race so I'd only do it on wifi or from a dongle with loadsa data.
Last full race I streamed used 3gb
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
You don't have enough data on your phone to tether the entire race so I'd only do it on wifi or from a dongle with loadsa data.
Last full race I streamed used 3gb

3gb? I could never do that then as only got a 2gb plan...!!

So next question. I would need to get a data sim with 4G capability (they do get it in this area lol) and probably from Three? (sorry O2)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You could buy a bolt on if you do get an o2 signal or three will give you 12gb for 15 quid.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
You could buy a bolt on if you do get an o2 signal or three will give you 12gb for 15 quid.

Even abroad? That is a great price if so.

Message 7 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Even abroad? That is a great price if so.

In any of their "feel at home" countries.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Well the dongle I thought I had when my other half had the Note Pro has 'been sold' so I am told Evil However, I have discovered a 3 mobile broadband dongle I had some time back when our internet went down. I presume it willl still work on my Surface pro. I know I need a new sim...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 15

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Your surface should have a standard usb port so you can insert the dongle in that and then just add a sim card with data into it.
The dongles have the software installation files built in so you just need to install it into surface
Message 10 of 15