cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry 9300 won't connect to server

Anonymous
Not applicable

My BB 9300 (software 6.0) worked fine until yesterday when it suddenly stopped receiving emails. I am still getting them on my PC. When attempting to check email settings in Set-up - Email Accounts I get the message 'Your device had a problem connecting to the server'. As far as I know I have changed nothing in the settings recently and have made no changes to my regular payment plan.

Following advice for similar problems on troubleshooting forums I have unsuccessfully tried a warm boot (twice) and have deleted the service books for the two email accounts that were on the device. Unfortunately I cannot resend the service books without the server connection.

Any help would be very gratefully received! Thanks.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

I'll flag our BB experts @Anonymous and @aldaweb 

Hopefully they can assist you further.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps our resident blackberry guru @Anonymous can help you.

I've flagged him so he knows.

slight_smile
Message 3 of 21

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I assume by warm boot you mean just resetting without powering down, have you tried a battery pull?

Have you checked network connection by any other means eg browser? Can you connect to WiFi?

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 4 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the notifications folks!

Hi @Anonymous 

I need to find out a few things so that we can help some more!

* What type of email account is it you are using? Don;t tell us your email address, but is it @yahoo.com or @hotmail.com for example? 

* Are you still able to send/receive texts or make/receive calls?

* Are you able to access the internet on the phone via the browser?

* Do your emails work when you are connected to Wifi?

* Do you see the Blackberry "dots" at the top of the screen near the signal indicator?

* As @aldaweb has already mentioned, have you tried pulling the battery?

* Have you tried deleting the email accounts and then going through the email setup again? (this will only work if you have internet access and the BlackBerry "dots" are there)

If you can give me some answers to the above and we can try and get this sorted for you slight_smile

Message 5 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @papadug, 

Many thanks for your speedy reply, and also to @aldaweb for earlier post. I'll try to answer your questions in the order you've asked them:

• I have two email accounts linked to the BB. One is for work and uses my own business domain name. The other is my web-based personal email address, on .btinternet.com.
  • Phonecalls and texts seem OK.
  •  I can't access the internet.
  •  I can't tell if the emails work when I connect to wifi. When I deleted the service books the icons disappeared and - Catch 22 - I can't set the accounts up again without accessing the server.
  •  There are no BlackBerry 'dots' on the screen.
  •  I have tried pulling the battery (twice).
  • The email accounts seem to have disappeared anyway but I can't reinstate them (see comment above).

Thanks again!

Message 6 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous and thanks for the answers!

Straight away I can see that you don't have a BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) connection (no BlackBerry dots) and that will be why you can;t setup your email accounts again...and have no internet connection! If BIS is working you should see the dots next to the signal indicator:

dots.PNG

If you login to your MyO2 on here, can you check that you still have a Blackberry Bolt-On or "BlackBerry Text and Web" set on your account? Sorry, I can't remember which it should be.

If you do, can you try the following: Go to Options > Advance Options > Host Routing Table > Press the "menu" button > Register Now.

If this does nothing I think you might need to give customer services a call as this is likely something that needs to be done at the O2 end so you get BIS again.

Let me know how you get on

Message 7 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous. I followed your advice. My O2 package includes a Bolt-On called 'Data Allowance' that says it should give me emails, internet etc. Then I registered the device as you suggested. Interestingly, the BB dots came up on the screen but only when it momentarily displayed 3G there. Most of the time at present the connectivity drops back to GPRS which is a bit rubbish - and then the dots don't show. Could the issue be one of carrier/signal strength? It's not been a problem before (it's Wiltshire, which I didn't think was really that remote but hey...!).

Message 8 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

Thats very strange! Are you getting GPRS or gprs? You should still get data on GPRS and so the dots should appear. However they probably won't if you are only getting gprs.

It could very well be a problem with the transmitter near you though. Is there anyone else in yoour house or street that is on O2 to see if they are having internet issues when not on Wifi? have you check the O2 Network Status Checker to see if there is a problem near you?

Does your MyO2 mention BlackBerry at all in your plan type or Bolt-Ons? or does it just say Data Allowance?

Lets try something, can you connect to a Wifi network, ensure you have an internet connection and then try and setup your email accounts while connected to Wifi?

Edit to add...can you double check that Data is turned on (off for roaming) in your Mobile Network Settings?

Message 9 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again @Anonymous,

Sorry for delay in replying and thanks for your latest ideas.

My phone seems to get a mixture of 3G, GPRS and, if I'm unlucky, gprs. The BB dots are there some, but not all of the time.

According to the Network Status Checker (thanks for this) there are no issues on 2G or 3G near me but they will be doing mast maintenance tomorrow.

My partner is Orange so I'm not sure if anyone else is getting the problem.

My O2 package has the BlackBerry All-rounder Data bolt-on, so presumably that should be OK.

I've got the phone to work on my work wifi. It can access the internet but still refuses to access the server when I try to set up email. Infuriating!

Roaming was switched on but is now off.

BTW O2 Help suggested registering the phone, then deleting and reloading Service Books but that didn't work.

Message 10 of 21