cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your traditional Christmas?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys,

It's my first year in the UK, so I was hoping to get your thoughts on what the next couple of days should look like? We've got some family and friends visiting from Holland and I'd love to show them a traditional Christmas.

So, pub tonight? Gifts and food tomorrow? Would love to hear what you're planning to do.

Cheers,

Leonard

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
My adult children will be up early morning with my grandchild. Present opening and most likely toy building up and then cleaning away all the wrapping paper, followed by lots of chat and remembering loved ones who are no longer present , and me preparing crimbo dinner.

Some households will watch the queens speech.

Some will go to the pub in the afternoon.

After dinner and dessert it will be chill out time and then seeing off the kids.

Sleep time !
Message 2 of 20

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Whatever you do get up and Sing Sing Sing:

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 20

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I'm planning to have a lie in but as usual, I will be woken up by my parents arguing over the turkey preparations. Following that, I'll be attempting to watch anything on TV before remembering that Christmas Day morning TV is pretty much worse than normal days. Then switch on the computer to see what's happening on the forums whilst avoiding the knives being thrown by the parents over the cooking turkey wink

Ooooh looks like a load of Disney CGI films on which I haven't seen. Followed by a browse of all the sites starting the sales...

Message 4 of 20

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

A traditional Prussian Christmas for me, Just been to chapel where I lit a candle for loved ones, didn't understand the sermon but rendered my version of the Carols.

Family meal now shortly followed by opening of presents and much beer or spirits.

Christmas Day itself will be a small lunch followed by a one hour train journey from Reppinichen back to Berlin from where I will be firing up Skype to talk to my eldest son and grandkids,

After that it will be total oblivion in the local bar!

Message 5 of 20

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Jonsie

"Prussian"? Long ago grin

@Leonard

We talked about NL at the dinnertable (my dad works in Noord-Limburg for Nuon BV), do the Dutch celebrate on the 24th too?

I always thought Sinterklaas is your xmas.

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 6 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys and merry Christmas!

We did a bit of a pub crawl yesterday, gifts and drinks today, dinner on the way and going for a movie and more pubs tomorrow slight_smile

@ComChameleon:
It's becoming more and more popular in Holland, but yea, normally we celebrate Sinterklaas on the 5th in stead. Limburg is a fantastic place, by the way. Have you ever been?

Message 7 of 20

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

@ComChameleon:

Think they still have the Prussian way of life, seems nothing changes in the village except all the young folk move away leaving an older generation with an older way of life:smileyhappy:

Had a lovely meal today with Bambi, Thumper and Donald all on the same plate. Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to all the vegetarians out there!:smileysad:

Message 8 of 20

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Leonard

Ah, ok... Just wondered...

I live directly on the border (near Sittard-Geleen, Roermond, Posterhold) en ik was op de Universiteit Maastricht (SBE) wink

I love the outlet center in Roermond slight_smile

Where from NL do you come from?

Have to fill up my car later... So driving to NL grin

@jonsie

That's right, the young people leave - because of work/university. I just stayed in my village/Germany, 'cause I had a Diesel-car (and got my Diesel in the Netherlands where it's cheaper, because the taxes are lower) and drove all day to Maastricht (56km per way).

Otherwise I would've had to move, just like all of my friends 😞

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hope you all had a great one, guys. I'm still recovering a bit, to be honest grin

@CC: I've lived all over the place, but was born up north, in Groningen. Best city in Holland, imo slight_smile
Message 10 of 20