Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wish me luck guys.

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
I'm just about to go through a day off psychotherapy and hypnotherapy to stop smoking! I'm doing an Allen Carr all-day. seminar.

I've never tried to quit before, never really wanted to tbqh. I'm ready though, I've had enough of this monkey on my back and am determined to stop!

**crosses all my bits**
Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122821 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

As I said @gindygoo my husband had smoked for over 40 years. Went to our GP ...was put on a course of Champx which gradually decreased his desire for nicotine over 8 weeks period and then he stopped smoking completely. It was a shame that he then took up e cigarettes after 18months. However he hasn't smoked a proper cigarette for 3 years now..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 48

gindygoo
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
@Cleoriff my brother has stopped via Champix two or three times (in fact he reckons he's stopped atm, but has lied to me too many times about it (no idea why) for me to believe him this time😟) and from what I've heard it's a nasty, dirty drug. Tbh, with the amount of serious meds I already take, I'm apprehensive about taking anything in tablet form. But, who knows I guess it depends on my success in the coming days/weeks and how desperate I get to make something work.

Anyhoo, I've applied the first patch a couple of hours ago and although I've had the repetitive type urge to get up and go outside to smoke (we've never smoked indoors) the actual physical urge isn't there so, so far so good.

Well, here we go for round 2 lol! Once again guys and gals,,, wish me luck 😛
Message 22 of 48

Cleoriff
  • 122821 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

No it's not a dirty nasty drug Charlie.Smiley Very Happy... If it was, it wouldn't be prescribed by a GP. They take a full history before they prescribe it. My daughter in law took as well ...never smoked since. Not for everybody but.... if it works, well thats fine....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 48

gindygoo
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Morning @Cleoriff I didn't mean that to sound horrid. The side effects my brother told me he got though sounded awful 😨

Anyhoo, hopefully I've found my get out of jail card, or patch lol. I've not smoked since applying this patch yesterday and that's a achievement. My smoking had gotten so bad that if wake-up several times a night to get up - go outside and light up. Sometimes smoking as many as ten cigs throughout the nighttime 😵

I woke up this morning not craving my first ciggie as I usually do. The only kind of pang I'm getting is for the habitual trip out into the garden to smoke. But as soon as I feel it, the fact I've got the patch on occurs and I just carry on doing whatever it is before the pang.

I know it's only been a few short hours, but I'm really hopeful. I'm still going to the hypnotist tomorrow as surely it's another tool in the stop smoking kit. Anyway fingers crossed 🤞
Message 24 of 48

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
I've read two equally nasty ways to stop a craving for something.
The first is to keep satisfying the craving to the point where it becomes disgusting - so smoking one after another, after another, etc until they just taste wrong.
The second is to associate the item being craved with a feeling of sickness or discomfort so that you are almost craving something "wrong". The example here is if you crave sweet foods you imagine that they taste off or of something that you find unpalatable.
In some ways this is self hypnosis. Obviously doesn't work too well as I can't stop eating cakes or sweets so hope you have better luck with an actual hypnotist!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 25 of 48

Cleoriff
  • 122821 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@gindygooI really wish you the best of luck. It's true to say what works for one, wont always work for someone else. My hubby had no side effects with Champix, even though he was looking for them tongue

However....his waistline has increased a lot....as he now eats ...instead of smokes Fear

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 48

MI5
  • 144176 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
There's always another vice that needs to be overcome.... Eating is a common substitute for smoking because smoking actually suppresses the appetite. I noticed a big change in my eating habits when I quit.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 27 of 48

Cleoriff
  • 122821 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
There's always another vice that needs to be overcome.... Eating is a common substitute for smoking because smoking actually suppresses the appetite. I noticed a big change in my eating habits when I quit.

I was going to say something then...but thought better of it. As I have started posting though and don't wish to edit/delete/change my mind.....I will leave it at that....Mwhahahaha Zipped

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 48

MI5
  • 144176 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Thanks for your invaluable input tongue
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 29 of 48

gindygoo
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
😁 @Cleoriff @MI5 just done hypnosis and have popped into the pub for a cocktail to see if one of my biggest triggers, triggers me... So far, so good!

Btw, I've recently and am still dieting. I've lost a massive chunk of weight so the eating thing was incorporated into my hypnosis. I doubt I'll eat extra as I'm on a strict calorie controlling diet.

What I have succeeded in doing though is I've had a patch on for the last two days, and I've only smoked 6 (1 today, 5 yesterday) cigarettes instead of 40. So I'm actually on the right path already.

What I've not expected is anything will be a magic bullet, but will actually be another tool in the box that'll help me give up. There is willpower involved no matter which method/s I use, and I want prepped for that with the Allen Carr thing...

Phew, I do feel energised and positive. The hypnotherapy was a lovely experience. I can have as many sessions as I need included in the £200 it has cost (my gf paid bless her heart). I do believe it's worthwhile, at least for me in my first impressions.

I'd have likely smoked at least 2 cigs with this cocktail, and honestly I don't want one!!!!

Woohoo 🙌 I'm REALLY hopeful
Message 30 of 48