Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK Flight Ban on Electronic devices

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

The British government has announced a cabin baggage ban on laptops on direct passenger flights to the UK from Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia.

The ban, which also applies to tablets and DVD players, follows a similar US move affecting eight countries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39343971

Although the above devices are the only ones mentioned in the BBC article, the ITV news stated mobile phones of a certain (larger)  size will also be banned from cabin baggage ...as well as Kindle devices...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Makes you wonder what intelligence has triggered this?
I have no doubt, someone has learned something and the US and UK are acting on it.
Message 2 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

That's just what my husband said when it was on the news last night. After what happened in Tunisia 2 years ago...this is a very late implementation.

They also explained a little more about the ban on larger phones...apparently they can be a disguise cover for a grenade....!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

It's also being discussed on the Wright Stuff this morning...they have a phone in on the show. Mixed reaction depending on whether you are in business and need to work on your laptop. Others who travel with kids and keep them amused with ipads etc. 

Someone also pointed out that laptops aren't covered by insurance if they are put into suitcases...

I know this is for security purposes but the wider implications have yet to be considered

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 5

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
If they replaced a 6000mah battery for the equivalent sized explosives with a much smaller battery for show, it would be an extremely grave situation
Message 5 of 5