Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Voice/Let It Shine

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Has anyone, apart from me, watched The Voice now on ITV and/or Let It Shine on BBC1.

If you have what do you think of either or both show(s)?

I will withhold my personal views for the moment and see what other people think.

I am interested to see if anyone views The Voice's move to ITV as good, bad or downright diabolical.

And what do you make of the latest talent show - Let It Shine.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I watched both last night and doubt I will repeat that marathon again. I like Gary Barlow and Take that...but Let it Shine seemed to be telling every singer (bar two) that they were brilliant. My dad had a saying for anyone who was rubbish. "I wouldn't pay them in washers"....90% of the performers on the show fit into that category.

The Voice. Some good singers but not sure any of them will have a career as a result of appearing on the show. I can't remember the name of any past winner. The fact it's now on ITV wont make any difference. I doubt I will be watching either of them again.....Apologies for the negative critique...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 10

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I had the misfortune to watch both this morning purely because of your thread @Glory1. Both were dire beyond words. Entertainment value was zero for me. I doubt I will watch either again unless it's another murky rainy Sunday.

I've also followed the Voice USA which ended it's run a few weeks ago....no one was bad according to the judges....I like a little honesty! It was no great surprise that a C&W singer on Kris Kristoffersons team won. No future for him I'm afraid apart from the Honky Tonk bars where he was already playing to an audience of a dozen or so!

Message 3 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

On the other hand I did watch David Bowie The Last 5 Years...(relegated to BBC 2) Superb...though infinitely sad...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 10

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I've managed to avoid The Voice completely though caught up with the odd failed popstar attempting Lazarus mode on Youtube. Given the above posts, I'll avoid Let it Shine as well. Far too many shows these days don't want to offend the contestents so you end with with "everybody is a winner". As for the judges, they don't want to tarnish their image either so do their best to avoid the SJW's now being presented as consensus opinion in the mainstream media. 

Besides after XFactor, can anybody can as bad as the Honey G experience?

Message 6 of 10

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
So far your comments pretty much tally with mine.

I actually stopped watching The Voice mid-second season because I became bored. The only thing that had kept me watching all the way through the first season was Will-I-Am who I think is hilarious. I don't know if he always means to be but he is.

Anyway I thought I would watch it last night to see if anything had changed/improved in it's move to ITV. Not really. I won't be watching again.

As for Let It Shine, I agree with @Cleoriff's take. Plus I think the format is a bit tired.

To me Gary Barlow is trying to be Andrew Lloyd Webber. And while it worked for Lloyd Webber it ain't working for him. For a start the judges on Andrew Lloyd Webber's shows were far more critical of the singers.

Secondly, telly has moved on. I don't even think Andrew Lloyd Webber could pull off this type of show today.

So, I won't be watching either show again.

Oh and I also watched David Bowie The Last 5 Years @Cleoriff which I streamed in the early hours of this morning. I agree very sad but Bowie was brilliant and his music will live on.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @sheepdog ... I've not watched either shows & have no intention of doing so

What is an SJW ? please

Cat

Message 8 of 10

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

SJW= Social Justice Warrior. Start with the obvious wikipedia entry and for some "meme" references and then google SJW for some actual examples Destroy

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog wrote:

SJW= Social Justice Warrior. Start with the obvious wikipedia entry and for some "meme" references and then google SJW for some actual examples Destroy

Thank you @sheepdog ... you come across as a very intelligent & knowledgeable person with a wicked sense of humour ... Hero

Message 10 of 10