Anonymous
Not applicable
40 REPLIES 40

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Well on one hand its another BBC agenda to increase diversity in all TV programmes whether its needed or not or, on the other hand, it could kill the franchise if the scripts are not up to the standard of the US sci-fi shows* and this could be the series that puts it on indefinite hiatus.

Personally it should have been male as it has been since (Who) time began but I may not be in the target demographic these days...

Frankly the last series was moderately better than previous Capaldi series though I quite liked the stories with him on his own but the scripts focussed far too much on the yet-another-female-assistant who saves the day with a bit of a Homer Simpson "Doh" moment. Thankfully they've killed off Perl Mackie who really didn't bring anything but annoyance to the role.

For the new Doctor though, I would like to see JW do some early episodes on her own to see how she portrays the character before they introduce an assistant as she's got a massive task ahead of her to justify her selection to the fanbase.  Cue toy-boy label though again that target demographic may be female led so please be somone who's not dopey from the outset as that would be a touch insulting to casting a woman as the Doctor. And someone who doesn't live in the London locality either.

*And Netflix is the BBC's main competitor these days as there as some cracking shows on there that renders Who as a British questionable curio that gets renewed for no real reason in comparison.

Message 2 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

It does look like a political move by the BBC but I think it's a good move & will freshen up what has become a stale program & be interesting to see how it plays out. I think they turned The Master into a woman purely to test the waters to see if a female Doctor would be accepted 

Message 3 of 41

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I'll give her one or two series before she needs to re-establish herself as a serious actor or be forever condemned to Soaps and Pantomimes....as well as confining the franchise to the murky depths of the Upper Boat Studios. 

Message 4 of 41

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Who ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 5 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

Who ?

LOL

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40624288

Image result for Images of Jodie Whittaker

Was in Broadchurch...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 41

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Was in Broadchurch...

Who ?....What ?.....sorry but my English must have deteriorated significantly after 5 weeks in Spain.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 7 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Was in Broadchurch...

Who ?....What ?.....sorry but my English must have deteriorated significantly after 5 weeks in Spain.

Well let me re-phrase this for your poor heat addled brain. LOL

Broadchurch. A very well known TV crime drama starring David Tennant, Olivia Colman and Jodie Whittaker Three series 2013-2017. Won many awards

In case you are the slightest bit interested (You won't be) I have included a Wiki reference Dance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadchurch

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

She is pretty beautiful actually. I could accept it 

Message 9 of 41

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I'm with @sheepdog and think the Doctor should have been male as has always been the case and I'm female.

I just don't get a female Doctor. It was bad enough with Matt Smith's deranged Doctor but this is a step too far for me and I shan't be watching.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 10 of 41