Did you mean: 

Nintendo Switch released soon!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys, 

Nintendo's latest gaming console, the Switch is due for release across 31 European countries on the 3rd of March. The Switch is different from traditional gaming consoles using a portable tablet like device to allow gaming on the move which can then be slotted into a docking station at home to allow a regular gaming experience connected to a TV. 

The specs for the console have yet to be released however it's rumored that the Switch will display at 720p on the portable tablet and 1080p on a TV. 

I'm certainly interested in giving the Switch a go, even if it's just to play some of the old Nintendo classics (Mario Cart and Zelda)!

Is anyone else looking forward to the Switch? What do people think if the portable aspect of the system? 

nintendoswitchbothways.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

It certainly looks like an interesting concept but i think the battery life will be its biggest problem as its rumoured to only last between 3 - 6 hours.

Despite Sony and Microsoft having 4K consoles, I think 1080p is fine.....if graphics were everything, consoles wouldn't exist and we would all be gaming on PC's.

Can't wait to see how this performs.

Message 2 of 16

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Anonymous Yes 3 or 4 hours isn't a great deal these days. Hopefully that can be improved with time. I agree 4K TV's are not common enough for it to be a must have on consoles. The next generation for sure. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

If more people had common sense, 4K TV's shouldn't be growing in popularity.

Unless you pay the extortionate prices of Sky or Virgin, you only get a handful of HD channels nevermind 4K!

I wish Nintendo all the luck with their new console

Message 4 of 16

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Have to disagree @Anonymous, My PS Pro and Netflix account have been pretty glorious on my 4K TV wink

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Toby i have the PS4 Pro too but still using my 1080p TV. I must say the difference is epic even at 1080p....so much smoother.

I've seen the PS4 Pro on a 4K HDR TV and it looks great but I guess the Mrs doesn't let me on it enough to justify a new TV!!

Message 6 of 16

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi @Toby i have the PS4 Pro too but still using my 1080p TV. I must say the difference is epic even at 1080p....so much smoother.

I've seen the PS4 Pro on a 4K HDR TV and it looks great but I guess the Mrs doesn't let me on it enough to justify a new TV!!

That's why I got a 4K @Anonymous. I was using a Samsung 720p and then saw an LG 4K 49' for £490 during Black Friday, so I decided to go for it as I was due an upgrade. That was a pretty big jump wink

I'm really excited about the new Zelda game on the Switch.A new Mario Kart too! What do we think about the pricing? Seems pretty fair to me for what you get.

Get involved:

Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

How would you consider the jump in picture quality going to 4K @Toby?

Message 8 of 16

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

From 720 to 4K was a huge jump. Plant Earth II in 4K is amazing. You can see each insect in a swarm. Its almost too detailed haha.

Then jump from 1080 to 4K (I saw this at a friend's place) is less for sure, but still pretty impressive. More so in games than in movies I would say though. Ratchet and Clank in 4K looks like you're playing a Pixar movie.

4K quality will also depend a lot on the movie/show you;ere watching. For example, ropey CGI looks worse on higher quality, so it really depends on the content for me :).

Get involved:

Message 9 of 16

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I've got a 4K monitor and it is pretty awesome on the PC just for general work and I really struggle using lesser resolution screens. As for 4K TV which is stunning, I'm not in any hurry considering HD is sufficient really for viewing as I don't want to spend my time admiring the detail rather than the storyline.

My internet connection isn't going anywhere near superfast broadband needed for 4K Netflix etc till BT sort out the fibre networking (though strangely they've put a new cabinet very close to my house recently) and Sky is a subscription too far really to justify. 

As for the Nintendo Switch, I think thats my new dust gathering toy Christmas present this year. 

Message 10 of 16