Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nintendo Switch - Mobile gaming at its finest

ElaGirl
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 41 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

With the release of the Nintendo Switch gaming console this week, a lot of people have wondered, is Nintendo breaking out and winning more than just the hearts of its fans. I am a fan of Nintendo but have not purchased a gaming console by them in a long time. I was very hesitant to even consider this new model because it is sadly without a touch screen on the separate portable device.

With that said, I am interested to hear from any of you if you have played it and your thoughts.

If a conversation does generate, I have an awesome video by a mobile phone tester, who will spend 9 minutes cutting, scratching, and breaking his switch to show you its durability. This is not promotion either! I am simply just sharing some helpful tips. From what I saw, this system is not ready to be purchased. I think I will wait for a newer version with better quality plastic/screen, maybe in a year plus time. Who knows.

thanks for your advises and guides.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@ElaGirl I've not had the chance to try it yet but very tempted to get one. Not just for the portable aspect for me it's more getting to play updated versions of Nintendo classics like Mario and Zelda! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also very tempted however I am going to wait until more games are released.

Console £270

Zelda £50

Controller £50

£370 just to play 1 game!!!

Message 3 of 14

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Anonymous Ouch that is pricey for a trip around Hyrule! To be fair I have enough half finished games on the PS4 so can definitely wait until there is a price drop. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 14

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I'm very meh about the switch,
I like the idea of mobile full console gaming, but if honest it's an idea that all the competitors already had, even if the press negate to pass on that information. Hardware wise there has been much talk of the 720p being quite low end for a 6"+ device display but when you consider its running the games on the actual device, it's understandable, console games are a shelf above mobile gaming and that's just fact.
The key point is, Nintendo know their market is kids, always has been, yeah a few adults may buy purely for nostalgia releases but 90% of sales will be for kids and kids don't give a rats backside about resolution.
But.. If they try to market it to the wrong market, it will fail like Wii U did.
This year's ps4's and xbox's run at 2160p, that's 8x the power of switch, and they both do remote play too. If Nintendo try to compete with either of those, or make out the removable display is unique, consumers will see straight through it.
Message 5 of 14

ElaGirl
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 41 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Lol - me too.
Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree @viridis although I wouldn't say Nintendo are aimed at kids. Nintendo games are just fun to play and don't have the seriousness of XBone and PS4.

I like the fact you can take your games with you on the Switch and then play on TV when home. I know the PS4 has remote play before I have found this very unreliable....both at home and away. I have a solid 80MB download, 19MB upload and 10ms ping but remote play constantly lags and disconnects.

I wonder if Sony will release a new Vita soon? Good Idea

Message 7 of 14

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Vita is dead, you can't compete with Nintendo in that market, No matter how much spec you put in a machine, Nintendo own the mobile console world. Only Apple and Android pose a risk, which is why we have switch in the first place. Another mobile only device would fail and they can't compete with Sony or Microsoft in their market.
So Nintendo put their eggs in a hybrid family console.

Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

But shouldn't the Vita with remote play at least match the Switch?

Sony really need to work on the remote play connectivity issues as the internet is littered with people having problems.

Message 9 of 14

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Remote play will never match switch, you can't possibly with the switch portable screen itself rendering the game vs relying on mobile or local wifi speeds.
Tbh I only ever had connectivity problems if trying to connect through 2.4ghz wifi, it's a joke for steady connection as your own phone/tablet Bluetooth will constantly cause interference.
Having the ps4 connected through hardware of the cable, and the remote device connected through 5ghz wifi or good 4G will get better results.
Upload speed at both ends should be above 3MB sec too imo with ping below 40 to be playable.
Message 10 of 14