Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Man Dies Charging iPhone in Bath

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I have just read this news item on the BBC Red Button service.

This may be a silly question but who in their right mind charges a phone, any phone, while they're in the bath? Or near any water for that matter. I would have thought even a non-techie like me knows this is a no-no!

The story went on to say the coroner planned to send a report to Apple 'about taking action to prevent future deaths'.

Is it me or isn't this just common sense.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I read about this yesterday and like you I was shocked @Glory1

Apparently he had an extension lead plugged in another room, which allowed him to charge his phone in the bathroom. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/17/coroner-warns-of-dangers-after-man-electrocuted-in-b...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 12

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

as @Cleoriff says the man was using an extension lead bringing in 240v into contact with water is never a good idea. That is why only certain types of sockets and light switches are allowed in the bathroom .

As to why apple are being told to warn users it baffles me http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

A report should certainly go to Apple as it was one of their devices being used. However, for health and safety purposes the public should be warned that using ANY mobile in the bathroom whilst it's connected to a charger is dangerous practice.  A warning 'just to Apple' defeats the overall point

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Cleoriff my point why just apple

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Just found this guide on a well known bathroom supplier https://victoriaplum.com/blog/posts/electrical-products-and-bathroom-safety

Apple Watch series 4

Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

@Cleoriff my point why just apple

It's headline catching @adamtemp64.It's an iPhone . Probably hooks more people in to read it. Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why would anyone take their phone into the bathroom near water? They need common sense 

Message 8 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Android and Windows phones must be safe to use in the bath then lol!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 12

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
@Anonymous you are so right. I am attached to my mobile phone in a big way. Because I don't have a laptop/desktop PC my mobile phone is constantly in use. All my emails, online shopping, texts, online browsing etc is done through my mobile. Consequently, I charge it at least twice a day sometimes more. And while I have often charged it while I'm in the bath, it is in another room not in the bath with me. That's what I can't get my head around.

I mean was he using the phone while it was charging? Something I do frequently and, in fact, am doing now while posting this. But never ever while in the bath. Your hands are wet and the phone can so easily slip out of your hand and into the bath.

Like @Anonymous to me it's just common sense not to use your phone in the bathroom period. To charge it in the bath - insanity.

@Cleoriff you are absolutely correct that the public should be warned that it's dangerous to use any phone in the bath whilst it's charging not just an iPhone. But I would go one step further and say keep your mobile phone out of the bathroom period.

@adamtemp64 the guide makes interesting reading.

@MI5 as always love your sense of humour....😁

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 10 of 12