Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MH370

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Sad news for the families of those lost on the flight coming in today. Two years on and the search has been abandoned. The seas haven't given up the passengers and there probably no hope of them doing so.

MH370: Families say search suspension for Malaysian plane 'irresponsible' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-38647365

However.....

The underwater search discovered new volcanoes, anchors, long lost ships. Its sonar mapped an area of seabed less well known than the surface of the Moon. The sea gave up many secrets but it didn't give up MH370.

There were false alarms. At one point the search team rang the prime minister of Australia and told him to get ready to make an announcement. But when they sent down cameras on a drone to look at the odd shaped lump, they just found another ship wreck.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I can understand the pain of the relatives....However, it appears they have done as much as they can and it is probably time to give up the search now.  I expect they will get more answers when they least expect it...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It was always said the likelihood of finding the plane was very slight.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I too think that one day people will get answers but families are in limbo. However everything humanly possible has been done to locate the wreckage and to find out what exactly happened.

Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

When you consider this ....

"Despite an extensive search of the southern Indian Ocean, no trace of the aircraft was found until the discovery of the barnacle-encrusted flaperon on Reunion Island, more than 3,700km (2,300 miles) away from the main search site, in July 2015"

.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26503141

It's no wonder they search has been stopped...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The big problem is they can't be exact as to where the plane went down. I remember back to the time when it disappeared off radar the same night I was flying back to the UK from Thailand. I had so many phone calls and texts to see if I was ok. Seems a lifetime ago and if everyone thinks what has happened to them in their own lives over the last 2 years, it's quite inconceivable what these families are going through. I think though that they have long accepted that they may never know exactly what happened despite their anger about the search being called off.

So many theories have been put forward as to being hijacked and landing somewhere I suppose they cling to hope....

Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes I remember it well @jonsie (about it being the same time as you flew back from Thailand)

Bottom line with bereavement unless there is a body people ..will always live in hope of a miracle.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

It's easy to forget how vast the ocean really is. I hope the families can get some closure despite the wreckage not being found. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 8 of 8