Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lego - Fun to share, great to stare

Daddydoink
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Well, since @Anonymous put a spotlight on my one hobby that doesn't require electricity (with exception of the train tracks, which is for another post) and gets me hopping about (in excitement or pain)*, I've decided to start a little Lego topic here for us all to post photos of our creations - from the instructions or from our own minds... actually, thinking about it, perhaps we need to start a poster-exclusion list now - I've read the rumours thread, you know.  

So, welcome to the Lego Topic - a place for the creative person in all of us to look, to enjoy, to share, to dribble over**, to contribute, to suggest, to.... something or other... just make sure you clean up after yourself.

More info
*I need to order some thick slippers for Christmas, I think. Or, you know, clean up after myself.

**Of course dribbling is allowed - this isn't a branch of Dixons, you know.

Lego Table V2 (yes, there was a Version 1)

Car showroom

Cafe

Table

Cafe and flats

Access stairs

Windows 10|SurfaceBook2-512|Lego|Wheelchair Reviews
Sony Xperia ZX Premium (because I loved the Try The Tech phone so much)
Sony Xperia XZ
Message 1 of 132
131 REPLIES 131

Anonymous
Not applicable

Luv it

Lego has come a long way since I last looked, & you have encouraged me to buy myself a set for Christmas

Message 31 of 132

Daddydoink
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Glad I encouraged haha! Next on the list will be to build up the street and some stalls...
Sony Xperia XZ
Message 32 of 132

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm curious @Daddydoink this Lego 'environment' you build including trains / trams / buildings / etc

Do you build from a pattern ie instruction book ..... or ..... do you buy your bricks say from an online source & make the builds up 'from your head' ?

Message 33 of 132

Daddydoink
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Its all from my head usually, although if I want to achieve a particular idea I might use another build as inspiration. I will do a post at some point about the buildings and how you can just lift them off...
Sony Xperia XZ
Message 34 of 132

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Great to see @Daddydoink, the last photo is my favourite slight_smile 

Have you seen the brick separator tool for those thin pieces, its quite a cool tool!

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 35 of 132

Daddydoink
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Its a very useful tool - I have several. I'm off to London today, so might pop into the Lego store in Westfield... I know I need more bricks, windows and flat plates - am pondering if I should get more chairs...
Sony Xperia XZ
Message 36 of 132

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool! Show us what you end up buying 🙂

Message 37 of 132

Daddydoink
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Well, I did buy a lot of stuff that day - most of it for Christmas gifts if I am honest.  However, I spent £6.50 on a tub of bits including bricks for walls, windows, flat bits for floors, some wedges for street edges and a better dashboard for the bus.

I've got the lego advent calendar going now as well and a bit of a snow scene being built - I'll try to take some photos later...

Sony Xperia XZ
Message 38 of 132

Anonymous
Not applicable

Luv the idea of a Lego Advent Calendar @Daddydoink ... ... ... & ... ... ... looking forward to pics of it & the snow scene 

Happy Lego Time slight_smile

Message 39 of 132

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

History of Lego

The name 'LEGO' is an abbreviation of the two Danish words "leg godt", meaning "play well".

The LEGO Group was founded in 1932 by Ole Kirk Kristiansen. The company has passed from father to son and is now owned by Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen, a grandchild of the founder.

In 1932, Ole Kirk's shop started making wooden toys such as piggy banks, pull toys, cars and trucks and houses. The business was not profitable because of the Great Depression. Farmers in the area sometimes traded food in exchange for his toys; Ole Kirk continued producing practical furniture in addition to toys to stay in business. In the mid-1930s, the yo-yo toy fad gave him a brief period of increased activity until it suddenly collapsed. To reduce waste, Ole Kirk used the leftover yo-yo parts as wheels for toy trucks. His son Godtfred began working for him, taking an active role in the company.

In 1934, Ole Kirk held a contest among his staff to name the company, offering a bottle of homemade wine as a prize. Christiansen was considering two names himself, "Legio" (with the implication of a "Legion of toys") and "Lego", a self-made contraction from the Danish phrase leg godt, meaning "play well." Later the Lego Group discovered that "Lego" can be loosely interpreted as "I put together" or "I assemble" in Latin. Ole Kirk selected his own name, Lego, and the company began using it on their products.

Message 40 of 132