Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Humanitarian Crisis' In The NHS

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122845 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

There is a "humanitarian crisis" in NHS hospitals in England, the British Red Cross has said.

The charity said volunteers and staff had been helping patients get home from hospital and called for more government money to stabilise the situation.

It comes as a third of hospital trusts in England warned they needed action to cope with patient numbers last month.

Last week 42 A&E departments ordered ambulances to divert to other hospitals  - double the number during the same period in 2015.

This only happens when the departments are under significant pressure, such as lacking the capacity to take more patients or having queues of ambulances outside for significantly prolonged periods, and when all existing plans to deal with a surge in patients have been unsuccessful. 

Appalling situation for our once proud NHS....

In a nutshell, lack of funding and poor follow up social care is the root of this crisis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38538637

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Yet they can give aid around the world...5.2 million to a pop group of all things. I despair of the UK and was one of the many factors why I moved overseas,

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38538631

Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122845 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

The problem runs much deeper than this. People are living longer and there is limited (if any)  social care available for them. Governing bodies have closed all hospitals that provided long term care for the elderly. Council run nursing homes are being replaced by privately owned homes which cost clients their life savings to reside in them

Care in the community was an excellent idea when introduced but lost it's way when funding was reduced. Now 'care in the community' is heavily dependent on someone having family members willing to provide for the needs of their relatives.

When hospitals are forced to make cut backs ...it's the nursing budget that takes the biggest hit. Always

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very sad slight_frown

You say it's always the nursing budget which takes the cuts @Cleoriff ... I can truly believe that slight_frown

The burocrats at the top want sacking

Scrap the Overseas Aid Budget ... yes ... give some money to our homeless veterans ... but also to our NHS where it needs it 

I've worked in offices all over the place following my then husband up his career ladder ... = ... those paper shufflers + on expenses + & free lunches at the top of the NHS want the sack Shirty Drum

God Bless Aneurin Bevan for our NHS heart

Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

When in the pub earlier today, I was watching the BBC News channel with subtitles ... Frank Field was speaking sense ... he mentioned Labour Gordon Wots-is-name (Scottish) the one that was PM in waiting to Tony Blair ... well ... Gordon Brown ... he dared to do somethings brave with the NHS without fear of the opposition ie The Conservatives back-biting eg IAPT Improved Access to Pyschological Therapy/ies ... to Gordon Brown's surprise the electorate was happy ... = ... as Frank Field said today the public will support an increase in National Insurance, but not taxes etc ... I'm sure you can find a link to back up what I gleaned from a most important subject ... let's hope a proposed 20 person coalition from all political parties to meet & sort out the NHS does the job slight_smile thinking of you @Cleoriff

BBC2 9pm tonight ... = ... programme called Hospital = a must watch for me ... thinking of you @Cleoriff

Message 5 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122845 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I have that programme set to record @Anonymous. I tell you this... I have watched Theresa May and her comments about the NHS in the Commons today. Her level of understanding is minimal Talk about head in the sand. I was pleased to see Simon Stevens (Chief Exec of NHS England) give her a real trouncing today

These comments from others..

The Royal College of Nursing said its members were reporting the worst conditions they had experienced.

In a separate move, 50 leading doctors have warned the prime minster in a letter that lives are being put at risk because of mounting pressures on the NHS - and charities working with elderly people said long-term solutions were needed.

Appalling situation. The programme you highlighted will be a real eye opener.
As I said tonight...all we need now is a Major Disaster...(Having been involved in 3 in my working life...I know we would NOT cope)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38582285

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Cleoriff for responding with your post above  ^  ^  ^

For those people on the forum who don't already know ... = ... Cleo' began her career as a Cadet Nurse & ended up in Nursing Management ... Cleo' still gives lectures today at, I believe, Birmingham University ... this is public information Cleo has herself posted elsewhere on the O2 Community ... sorry Cleo, I hope I havn't said the wrong thing heart Hug

Cat

Message 7 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122845 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

No problem Jane...only it's Coventry University now and not so much as I once did....No matter, if I had my time again I would make exactly the same career choice. (Unless someone offered me the job of P.A to Johnny Depp of course...then I may have had a change of heart...) LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 8