cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General: cancelling a DD

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've learned from this forum not to cancel a direct debit without contacting customer services first

I inadvertantly have 2 suppliers of duel / fuel (gas & electric) ... I was ill att & would have said anything to get rid of the guy on the phone ... they are costing me almost twice what Scottish Power are & with whom I wish to stay

About 10 days ago I cancelled the dd at my bank ... I have no paperwork or emails from this company which comes through on my bank statement as 'Hudson'

Your comments / advice would be appreciated

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Jane. If you have TWO suppliers of gas and electric and you dont want one of them...then you contact that supplier and give notice.

Honestly I have no idea how you managed to end up with two.... as normally when switching, one takes over from the other. I have never heard of anyone ending up with two suppliers? 

As long as you have one company supplying your needs, then contact the one you dont want and cancel. It's ok for you to cancel the DD

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 4

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
@Cleoriff has given you good advice @Anonymous.

I was in a similar situation a while ago when I accidentally signed up to a games group who were taking money out of my account for something I never wanted. I sent them a text cancelling as soon as I established from o2 who and where they were.

A bit of advice for future never say yes to a cold caller. If you can't get rid of them after saying no then just hang up. Do it a few times and they'll get the hint. Also block the number if you can.

I make it a rule to never answer a call where I don't recognise the number. I then check the number out. It usually is someone like Scottish Power cold calling. I then block the number. I have a long list of these numbers most of whom are Scottish Power.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you @Cleoriff & @Glory1

I am reassured now Cleo' that I won't get comeback from the other company for which as I say I have no paperwork or emails for ... Glory1 I was just so ill att in bed& was expecting some medical calls

My newish Microsoft Lumia 650 is not  set up properly yet & so will install Truecaller when I am able, this was recommended by @MI5 for my old 640 & worked well

Panic over, thank you again girls

Message 4 of 4