Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Football : Headers linked to Brain Damage

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Repeated headers during a footballer's professional career may be linked to long-term brain damage, according to "tentative evidence" from UK scientists.

The research follows reports that players who head balls may be more prone to developing dementia later in life. It is as yet a small scale study but evidence is showing alarming results

Dawn Astle, the daughter of Jeff Astle who played for England and West Brom and died age 59, stated her father was diagnosed with early onset dementia at 55. Apparently 4 years later before his death,  he no longer knew he had ever played football.

The Football Association says it will look into this very closely.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-38971750

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Interesting, stands to reason that constant knocks to the head will cause problems later on.
It'll be interesting what the fa concludes.
Message 2 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I suppose it was always going to be on the cards with the evidence they now have about Boxing....but scary stuff if it leads to early onset dementia. ...:smileysad:

I stress here the research isn't currently aimed at recreational footballers who play at the weekend...

(Having said that... I was always holding my breath when my grandson played. Thankfully he didn't do much heading...)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

It's a very plausible theory, and has been the subject of much discussion for years in American Football. So much so that helmet to helmet contact during certain plays is now a cause for penalties.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

It's a very plausible theory, and has been the subject of much discussion for years in American Football. So much so that helmet to helmet contact during certain plays is now a cause for penalties.

Yes I seem to remember this @Bambino. Wasn't a film made, based on a true story about this..and the fight to get helmets worn or not? I may have this wrong and have forgotten the name of the film now. Must go and google it.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Got it. Concussion starring Will Smith.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 16

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

This has been well documented over the years and yes it is worrying. But it's part of the game. It isn't as serious these days but the older generation will well remember the leather footballs with laces and a combination of rain soaked leather making the ball much heavier and connecting with the lace when heading led to dementia in a much shorter period of time.

However that isn't to say the problem doesn't exist but there are risks in any sport. Jeff Astle was the first high profile name and no doubt there are many others.

Footballers initially take up the game for the love of it but every child who ever played had asperations to make it professionally. Now there is talk of banning heading from the game. Ask any footballers what they think of that...

Football has risks but so does boxing, skiing, cricket or baseball. Many have died for the love of sport but nowhere near the numbers who die in war and atrocities around the world.

Leave our beautiful game alone and let those who are worried take up chess.

Message 7 of 16

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

I dread to think what my years playing Rugby League will have done to my brain...it wasn't balls bouncing off my head, it was 20+ stone blokes, haha!

Now I think about it, that probably explains a lot, haha. 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 8 of 16

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

@Wa10 wrote:

I dread to think what my years playing Rugby League will have done to my brain...it wasn't balls bouncing off my head, it was 20+ stone blokes, haha!

Now I think about it, that probably explains a lot, haha. 

Yep all is explained now LOL

Message 9 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

It's not so much the brain damage....( I know that sounds weird coming from a nurse ) It's the long term effects leading to possible early onset Alzheimers that I find particularly worrying

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 16