cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Interference

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

When I was with another provider, I used my phone near my pc and heard nothing from the pc speakers. Using the O2 SIM, when I start to use my phone I hear elelctrical interference from the speakers. Is this due to the fact the I am now using a different frequeny which just happens to interact with the circuit in the speakers.

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Usually due to old phone technology, are you using a different phone now or has anything else changed apart from sim card?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like an old phone to me. Shouldn't be anything to do with the SIM card 

Message 3 of 10

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Perhaps it is interference but could you describe what "electrical interference" is? A static type sound or a tick-tick-tick type of sound? A buzzing or a hum?

Also do you happen to have any wireless devices nearby on channel 70 (863-865MHz)? I've recently hit this problem with wireless microphones and discovered it wasn't the batteries cutting out in the middle of speaking but the 4G signal encroaching on the lower end of 863MHz! (Just to say that a quick test with a SDR dongle proved that plus a bit of research but need a bit more testing to prove it).

Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing has changed except the SIM card.

My phone is very old technology (slide phone)

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

The phone is old (slide phone).

What surprised me is the electrical interference which I did not get from the previous SIM. Mainly noticeable when connecting, then slience.

All the best.

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

No wireless devices around. I am glad that you offered signs of interference. It is a very rapid tick, tick tick type of sound. After getting past my PIN, it becomes silent

Thanks

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

PS. When I said no wireless devices around. I meant not in my room. There are a number of rooms around me occupied by others. I have no idea what they have in their rooms.

Message 8 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I've not heard a phone do that for quite a few years now as all devices are better shielded but it used to be normal when a phone was registering on the network.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 10

owza57
Level 1: Joiner
  • 16 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Who was your previous SIM with? My guess is 3 as I don't think this network falls-back to GSM(I could be wrong!), and it sounds like typical 'GSM interference' you are hearing.

Message 10 of 10