Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

When it was still daylight at 7PM 😞 Or 7AM?!  😞

Yours, fed up of the dark and cold,

D-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-doink.

Windows 10|SurfaceBook2-512|Lego|Wheelchair Reviews
Sony Xperia ZX Premium (because I loved the Try The Tech phone so much)
Sony Xperia XZ
Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I remember it well. I suffer with S.A.Ds during the winter months. (In fact I think I invented the condition) Shirty.....So I am rather pleased I am off back to Spain next Weds. Where it was 18c yesterday...Popcorn

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 38

jonsie
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

Yes I well remember those days. Here it's light at 5.30am and dark at 6.30pm which with the sun streaming through the windows at 5.30 means I'm up and about at 6am most mornings.

Message 3 of 38

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Not really.
As I was up at stupid o'clock (and have been at work for just under 2 hours already) it was pretty dark this morning.
And it will be dark before I leave tonight as well!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember those days..... Hope they return soon as I do not like coming to work & going home in darkness, then spending most of the day in windowless offices and factories..... Now I am depressed Crazy

Message 5 of 38

jonsie
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

I was lucky enough to spend most of my working life in a garage so at least I was able to see and work outside in the winter months. Then I started working nights in a call centre and driving home in the dark and sleeping during the day so I know what you mean about being depressed Help

And whilst we are on the All Our Yesterdays theme, who can remember those heady days of the 3 day week and the power cuts and football having to be played midweek in the afternoon as there were no floodlights? 

Message 6 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

I was lucky enough to spend most of my working life in a garage so at least I was able to see and work outside in the winter months. Then I started working nights in a call centre and driving home in the dark and sleeping during the day so I know what you mean about being depressed Help

And whilst we are on the All Our Yesterdays theme, who can remember those heady days of the 3 day week and the power cuts and football having to be played midweek in the afternoon as there were no floodlights? 

Ohhhh yes the Ted Heath era..... Dinner by candlelight, Dad home through the week and not working, stocking up on coal....... horrid days Bang

Message 7 of 38

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I never experienced the 3 day week (nurses didn't) Weirdly my husband worked in a power station as an electrical fitter and he was rarely off work. They had to keep everything in good running order even though the country was conserving power. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 38

jonsie
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

Yes hospitals thankfully had no power cuts and presumably power stations had jobs for the boys status. Working in a garage at the time, we just used to make a frame, bolt spotlights to it and wire them up to the many batteries that were charged in advance....sometimes I miss those days believe it or not. Nostalgic and happy family times where everyone pulled together and helped each other.

Message 9 of 38

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I also remember two bad winters....The worse for us as a family was 1978-79.

Other half (still working for EMEB) couldn't even attempt to drive so he donned warm gear and walked for 3 hours to get to the power station 4 miles away. I didn't see him for 5 days...as they were working non stop to get power lines up and running and electricity back on.

Luckily, I worked at the hospital a mile away so could walk there. Some staff couldnt get home so slept in one of the empty wards.  .. 

Great camaraderie though. Everyone looking out for each other

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 38