Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audible?

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Have we got any fellow Audible (or other audiobook) "readers" in the community?

I've always been an avid reader from a very young age, originally being drawn in by Enid Blyton as a youngster - and have never been far from a good book since. As life has got busier, however, I found it more and more difficult to make time to enjoy reading - I love losing myself in the story, so the odd snatched page here and there doesn't do it for me.

I discovered Audible just before Christmas, and decided to give it a whirl. It's not the same as sitting turning the pages and reading a book, and if I try to listen to a book when I'm doing other things I tend to lose concentration too easily (being a bloke and all, multi-tasking doesn't come naturally, haha!) however I've found audible books to be a fantastic want of brightening up my commute to and from the office, which can be anything from 20 mins to close to 2 hours depending on traffic! 

I don't have the book playing all of the time, instead interchange it with Spotify playlists, but in the time since I have clocked up over 89hrs of listening apparently, which is quite some feat!

If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend giving the free trial a go to see what you make of it. slight_smile 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Wa10
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Totally get all of the arguments for and against - I was very skeptical when I first downloaded the app and signed up for the trial as I'd never really considered audiobooks, but have found they work great for me in the car (and the bath! haha). 

There are times when nothing beats turning real pages, and I still make a bee-line for the books whenever I visit a supermarket - off on holiday in July, and no doubt a large chunk of my luggage allowance will be taken up with paperbacks. 

I was also an early adopter of Kindle, and later Kobo, however whilst I found them very useful I eventually shifted back to mostly printed books - the cost was one factor in this, as I found ebooks were costing more, particularly when paperbacks can be picked up second hand or on 2 for £x deals.

Looking forward to giving the Harry Potter series a go @Toby. I've been saving some Audible credits towards them, as to buy them at normal price is extortionate! Hands up, I'm a massive Harry Potter geek, and was always at the front of the queue in the middle of the night when a new book was released, lol. 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 21 of 25

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Wa10 wrote: 

Looking forward to giving the Harry Potter series a go @Toby. I've been saving some Audible credits towards them, as to buy them at normal price is extortionate! Hands up, I'm a massive Harry Potter geek, and was always at the front of the queue in the middle of the night when a new book was released, lol. 

Ah! You'll love it then  slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 22 of 25

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Read the kindle versions of the books. Got through the first 3 in a week (on holiday, lots of rain!)

Does the narrated version have Stephen doing the voices, or just reading the words?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 23 of 25

Wa10
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

According to Audilbe I've only got 52mins of my current book (Torn) remaining, so I may just queue up Philosopher's Stone and make a start on it later on tonight. slight_smile 

Message 24 of 25

_Michael
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm 15 hours away from my Master listening badge.  Should be there in a week or two. 🙂

Just thought I would mention the Audible daily deal if you like your audio books:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Daily-Deals-from-Audible-co-uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=6174832031

If that link doesn't work just google it.  They do a book every day for £2.99, the selections are good too, good enough that I'm buying them faster than I can listen to them.

Message 25 of 25