Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audible?

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Have we got any fellow Audible (or other audiobook) "readers" in the community?

I've always been an avid reader from a very young age, originally being drawn in by Enid Blyton as a youngster - and have never been far from a good book since. As life has got busier, however, I found it more and more difficult to make time to enjoy reading - I love losing myself in the story, so the odd snatched page here and there doesn't do it for me.

I discovered Audible just before Christmas, and decided to give it a whirl. It's not the same as sitting turning the pages and reading a book, and if I try to listen to a book when I'm doing other things I tend to lose concentration too easily (being a bloke and all, multi-tasking doesn't come naturally, haha!) however I've found audible books to be a fantastic want of brightening up my commute to and from the office, which can be anything from 20 mins to close to 2 hours depending on traffic! 

I don't have the book playing all of the time, instead interchange it with Spotify playlists, but in the time since I have clocked up over 89hrs of listening apparently, which is quite some feat!

If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend giving the free trial a go to see what you make of it. slight_smile 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I've thought about it for listening to whilst in the car but I've so many subscriptions for different things I don't need any more.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 25

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

When you travel the world and the only source of books written in English are the ridiculous airport prices, believe me, Kindle is a godsend. So a free book is 2 years old, no problem if it's well written and the type you don't want to put down. I've discovered many authors I had never heard of but have purchased sequels because the first book was so good. Paid as much as 99p wink Leave your kindle at home, again no problem, open the app on phone or tablet.

I always liked a book on the bedside table but you need the lamp on at the risk of your partner complaining about the light. Nowadays I woulden't be without the ease of reading a book wherever I am simply by waking up the phone, tablet or Kindle.

Message 12 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

I gave my Kindle away ... just prefer reading from a book which I get off Amazon ... but am interested in Audible because I like the BBC Radio 4 Book at Bedtime & Book of the Week ... it's something about hearing someone read me a story slight_smile

Message 13 of 25

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I'm sure I'd fall asleep listening too!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I'm sure I'd fall asleep listening too!

Unless it's Crackanory. If you have never heard Crackanory you have missed a treat....Funnily enough series 2015 was sponsored by Audible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crackanory

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 25

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I'll check it out.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

it's already started on Dave. Next episode on Monday 6th February. I expect it will be on catch up if anyone is interested...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 25

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Ta muchly

Currently using:
Message 18 of 25

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12067 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I use audible but unfortunately you have to be doing nothing but listening. Anything else you are doing is total distraction.

I read in any spare time I have but always before dropping off to sleep. I read a book every two days and get them all free through Bookbub via Amazon.

My earliest recollections were the the Hardy Boys by Franklin someone, ..famous five, secret seven pre teens. I'll even read the ingredients on a sauce bottle these days....

Found bookbub last year and have got about 30-40 books through them. Found new authors that I like, and some I don't but agree as they are free/reduced it is worth a try!

Also use the Google books app as some versions are available through that but not the Kindle app.

For listening I use an app called podkicker rather than audible. I listen to a lot of podcasts, some football some music.

Also used to listen to Scott Sigler podcasts, where he serialised his books. For free! His style is sci fi horror. Think Stephen King mixed with Michael Crichton. He self published his way onto the New York Times best seller list which is really impressive.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 19 of 25

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

I'm more of a comic book reader @Wa10 wink

I did however listen to some Harry Potter audio books read by Stephen Fry which was great!

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 20 of 25