Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alexa becoming more human...

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I was just reading some techy news and came across some news about Amazon Alexa and how they have been developing it (or her?).

They intend her to sound more like a human, and have already added speaking skills like ability to whisper, take a breath to pause for emphasis, adjust rate, pitch and volume of speech. She can respond to questions about herself, tell jokes, answer to "I love you" (do you know how she will answer that though? lol) and can sing songs if you ask her to.

"These new tools were provided to Alexa app developers in the form of a standardized markup language called Speech Synthesis Markup Language, or SSML, which will let them code Alexa’s speech patterns into their applications. This will allow for the creation of voice apps – “Skills” on the Alexa platform – where developers can control the pronunciation, intonation, timing and emotion of their Skill’s text responses."

This is the article I was reading. slight_smile

What do you think of this technology? Do you think it's going to evolve even more into something human-like? open_mouth

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

A good idea imhho (humble / honest) re the intonation etc of Alexa's speech

I use a lot of icons / emoji's, where I can, because it enhances communication when all you have is black & white script ... = ... a simple analogy

so yes ... Go Alexa ... = ... a plus

Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having bought an Echo on Friday.. (it’s replaced my internet radio) I can now comment.

I like the fact she sounds part human, part tech.. allows me to differentiate. 

The original Westworld film used to freak me out as a kid. I want to see/hear differences! 

Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having been the owner of an Echo Dot since Christmas I am very impressed with the tech.

As for varying tone and pitch this might indeed be useful but I hope it remains reactive rather than proactive such as being given the ability to initiate conversation like Emotech's Olly as while I was, and remain, a big fan of the original Knight Rider I don't think I don't think I want a wise-cracking internet connected hockey puck look alike device in my home slight_smile as it's probably likely over the next few years I'll start using systems at work that are capable of conversation and that will be enough.

Message 4 of 11

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
So at last I can talk to an inanimate object and it can talk back. Yippee.....

Seriously, I wouldn't want it to sound too human as like @Anonymous I'd want the ability to differentiate.

And if the Westworld film freaked you out @Curmudgein you should watch the TV series, that would really freak you out 😂🤣
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 5 of 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I've seen the adverts and admit I'm not too keen @Marjo.

Having said all that... I am an avid follower of the TV series Humans which is due to return this month

Set in a parallel present where the latest must-have gadget for any busy family is a 'Synth' - a highly-developed robotic servant that's similar to a real human.

However, some of them are real and have been made into Synths.

It's science fiction stuff but absolutely brilliant. (Sometimes I feel I could do with a Synth around here...just think of all the work it could do) Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 11

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Oh yes @Glory1 I've heard that Westworld (the series) is really really good, and multiple people keep telling me to start watching it. It's on my to-watch list for later. @Cleoriff I watched Humans too and was impressed with the first series. It feels like ages since I watched it though, maybe a couple of years?? open_mouth

And to get back on topic grin I'm seriously considering getting the Echo. It sounds cool even though I don't think I'd have much proper use for it, it would just be a nice-to-have and experiment with. I'd have someone to talk to besides just my cats too then when I'm at home. LOL 

Message 7 of 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Ah but @Marjo Just think before you buy. Echo may just frighten Arthur and Drake. Untold damage may well occur joy

Cat chew.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 11

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Oh yeah you do have a point there @Cleoriff. Damage to the Echo itself might happen. open_mouth Arthur tends to throw things around if I introduce anything new to my flat... 

Edit: Love the photo grin I need to hide all my leather shoes as they tend to get chewed.

Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff & @Marjo ... you've made me laugh ... laughing

Edited to say I talk to Marty Cat Tongue ... nice to know I'm not alone in talking to a cat(s) ... LOL

Message 10 of 11