Did you mean: 

A flying warehouse over your head

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys, 

Amazon have recently filed a patent for a "flying warehouse". The idea is to have an airship at around 45,000ft which would be sent to areas where demand for goods is expected and then dispatch drones from the airship carrying the individual deliveries. 

It's hoped this system would help with the issue of the relatively short range of drones, which are limited by the size of the battery they can carry. Smaller airships could then be used to restock the larger warehouses and even transfer staff. 

What do you think about this? Are you happy to have a flying warehouse servicing your area or is the idea a bit much? 

droneAmazon.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

So the drone can leave it in a dustbin the same....? LOL

Nope, unless you bury the dustbin so the ultrasonic detector don't detect the raised obstacle.

Plus it would show up on the cameras I guess.

Message 31 of 42

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

Thanks for the info @viridis! It sounds like they have this in hand. Looking forward to my first drone delivery slight_smile

I don't, I think it's a ridiculous idea.

Though, it'll save me a fortune in spares. 

Message 32 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Intriguing ... I'm a good customer of Amazon ... what is a QR? please @viridis ... & ... my yard is concrete so no pegging of the dropping off point ... but ... I could weigh down the fold-up circle thing with little stones

Sounds good to me because I have a laminated notice pinned to my outside door saying something like Parcels - please leave behind wheelie bin, thank you ... this is because I'm either resting in bed or at the laptop in the little bedroom & I can't get to the downstairs door in time for the courier / postman to give me the parcel

btw I do applaud Amazon for using cardboard boxes & paper tape to seal them but recently I didn't know a parcel was there & it rained a lot sooo one small slug on box & big one inside box ... URGH!

Message 33 of 42

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

... I have a laminated notice pinned to my outside door saying something like Parcels - please leave behind wheelie bin, thank you ... 

You should get a secure parcel box, thieves will soon learn about this, especially as you advertise the fact on a laminated sheet.

One day, something WILL be stolen.

A QR code is like a barcode but is square and holds much more data. 

Message 34 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

... I have a laminated notice pinned to my outside door saying something like Parcels - please leave behind wheelie bin, thank you ... 

You should get a secure parcel box, thieves will soon learn about this, especially as you advertise the fact on a laminated sheet.

One day, something WILL be stolen.

A QR code is like a barcode but is square and holds much more data. 

thank you @viridis I will look into a secure parcel box as soon as I'm able

Is a QR one of those things which looks somewhat like a crossword puzzle & it's on all sorts of things eg even posters advertising local events at the train station ... can you sort of scan it with a mobile phone ?

Message 35 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous

"QR code (abbreviated from Quick Response Code) is the trademark for a type of matrix barcode (or two-dimensional barcode) first designed for the automotive industry in Japan. A barcode is a machine-readable optical label that contains information about the item to which it is attached".

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 36 of 42

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Is a QR one of those things which looks somewhat like a crossword puzzle & it's on all sorts of things eg even posters advertising local events at the train station ... can you sort of scan it with a mobile phone ?

What would @Bambino say to you Jane wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 37 of 42

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Indeedy-do:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 38 of 42

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Also... I don't applaud Amazon for their packaging. Ridiculous at times. Over large boxes for one book.

I think they have a lot to answer with regard to destruction of the rainforests the amount of paper and card they use...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 39 of 42

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Cleoriff It's very wasteful but the cats love large boxes arriving on a regular basis! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 40 of 42