cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what was peoples first mobile phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

5110.jpgwhat was everybodys first mobile phones.

mine was a nokia 5110 on orange in 1999 or as they called it the nokia c402 

Message 1 of 77
76 REPLIES 76

Anonymous
Not applicable

I loved the old colour version of the Samsung x460. Lovely lightweight, fits in your pocket, flip front, clear sound & easy to use 

Message 71 of 77

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Toby, really stretching my memory here but if I remember rightly, the 3310 was a dark colour and had no WAP, whereas the 3330 was a light grey and had WAP wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_3310
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 72 of 77

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
WAP!? Ah yes. I haven't referred to WAP in a long time haha
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 73 of 77

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Toby wrote:
WAP!? Ah yes. I haven't referred to WAP in a long time haha

Why?

One of the O2 APNs for getting online is still "wap.o2.co.uk"!Smiley LOL

Perhaps one day they'll rename it............!

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 74 of 77

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I would imagine that is way down on their list of priorities, they probably don't realise it still exists:smileyhappy:

Message 75 of 77

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a startac as well back in 1995 I think....if I recall, the sim card (back then a full size credit card shape) kept falling out. I've always loved Motorola's flip-phones. Also back then, it was analogue not digital, and with the right equipment you could "tune in" to peoples phone calls.

Message 76 of 77

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi WalesRob,

Your StarTac must have been a digital GSM model as it had a SIM card. I remember those full credit card sized ones well! The analogue TACS (analogue 1G) network ran until around 2000, BT Cellnet switched theirs off on Sunday 1st October 2000. So in 1995 you could indeed listen in to the TACS analogue networks run by Cellnet and Vodafone but you couldn't listen to the then still newish GSM calls. The TACS network used handsets that did not have SIM cards, which is how to pinpoint your StarTac as a 2G GSM handset. In the UK GSM and TACS ran side by side for around seven years, 1993 to 2000. It is shocking to admit now, as an older and wiser person, that listening in to the 1G phone conversations with a scanner was often very amusing Smiley Embarassed

Message 77 of 77