cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what future tech do you think .....

Anonymous
Not applicable

..... will enable me to stay in my own home, when the time comes, which it will = sooner than I'd like ..... a stair lift not an option as the door near the bottom of the stairs is priceless eg in keeping downstairs warmer & recently keeping my adult cat Marty separated from new kitten Dancer 

I really, really don't want to move from my home = maybe a few years ago I could've but not now eg I have accumulated far too much stuff since my son 'flew the nest' when the rooms in the house were neatly ordered into communal rooms/his 2 rooms/my room ..... also we do know the government wishes to keep people in their homes for as long as possible as there is far too much pressure on residential care homes etc for an increasingly elderly population ..... I am a realist, but do like to make provision for my future myself for practical reasons not least for me to not be a burden upon my son in the future slight_smile

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi Jane....

Not sure what sort of technology you could be looking for. I could provide a massive list but it all depends on your individual needs and how debilitated you may become.

At the moment is like asking 'how long is a piece of string'.....

I am not being dismissive in any way but what you think you need... may have all changed in the future when you require it

If you are wanting to know more, you could be accessing sites such as Age Concern who will give you plenty of information.

Remember also every GP surgery has a Care Planning team linked to the practice....as well as social services.

I understand your concern about staying in your own home but I know at the moment you are managing well and even providing care for your elderly parents.

I could talk about wheelchairs, walk in baths, and panic buttons etc etc etc....but who is to say you will ever need any of these?

You certainly should be getting your affairs in order...making a will and a comprehensive list of bank details, insurance policies, deeds of the house,.... etc etc etc. This list should be copied and given to a trusted family member.

As for tech to keep you in your own home...I don't think anyone could provide you with a list, if honest. They would be making a presumption about your future health needs...no-one can really do that.

As I said earlier....what is available now will be completely different when you need it

You know if I could add more I would. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for reply Cleoriff slight_smile

I didn't know that every GP practice had a Care Plan Team Smiley Surprised

I have a document, updated about every 12 months with important details on which my son needs to know about & an address book near my laptop with all my passwords in ..... my son has a sealed copy of this as has a trusted friend & my sister

I just was asking the question, what do people on here think will be the way helpful-to-me tech will go, but as you say what will be around then will be different from what is around now 

thanks again Thanks!

Message 3 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi Jane.

The care plan team may go under a different guise in some GP practices. They could be linked to District Nursing staff and Social workers

Age Concern has a wealth of information on their website and lots of brochures available.

Good for you with the taking care of business plans. Always a good idea whatever your age I think.... as we never know what's round the corner wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cleoriff, I shall look up Age Concern on the internet, thank you again slight_smile

Message 5 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Cleoriff, I shall look up Age Concern on the internet, thank you again slight_smile

Hug

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 6