cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"I don't like Classical music..."

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a phrase you frequently hear and what people usually mean by it is, "I don't like the sort of music they play on Classic FM" Wikipedia go into great detail as to what they think Classical music, in the Western tradition, is. Dating back to the dark ages and incorporating the 'classical' period, as opposed to the 'baroque' say.

I think that defining Classical music is much simpler than this. In any given period one supposes, a huge amount of music was created, by every culture and race since time immemorial. Very little has been passed down the generations and has stood the test of time. From Bach's Baroque to African Bantu Drum Music, if it has stood the test of time, then it's Classical, if it hasn't, then it isn't.

So the interesting question then is what music from from the period just after the 2nd War to today will be remembered and deemed Classical in 1000 years time. It's impossible to know as we will be safely dead, but I doubt very much it will be the experimental caterwailing that passes for contemporary experimental classical music, nor the formless meandering jazz explorations, that Jazz buffs are so fond of.

I'd  put money on the names of Pink Floyd, Dr Dre, Kraftwerk, Ennio Moriconnie, Hans Zimmer and the Beach Boys, appearing..

...and not The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Elton John nor Michael Jackson regardless of how those artists are perceived today.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Put another way, Absolute Radio 90's thinks that Oasis was and is the defining band of the 90's (in the limited market of the UK perhaps but no they weren't) given the fact you can't actually go an hour without an Oasis track being played, it will be defined more by the volume of a certain genre being played rather than the the variety of this period (say 1950 - 2001 which is the most diverse period). That will vary by country so likely will be covered by the title "Classic popular hits: the dawn of creativity*". 

Besides, my opinion of Classic music is one of its just the same thing being played without adding anything to it. In other words, its limited as its defined in what it should be played like with a few instruments and woe betide anyone who dares to break that tradition. For what its worth, pop music is more free in that respect as its open to interpretation without limit and on any instrument so I don't think there will be any definition of modern music.

* lets face it, most modern pap since 2001 is just cover versions designed to sell a brand

Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog

While I was a teenager in the 90s I didn't bother that much about the Britpop wars but on balance I have to say I prefer Blur but they are no more a classic than the Rolling Stones or the Beatles (prefer the Stones over the Beatles too)

My main choice in music is a subgenre of dance referred to as Trance but I do also appreciate a bit of Bach, Strauss or Vivaldi now and then.

Message 3 of 4

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35929 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1591 Solutions

"I can't believe it's not Classical Music" should be a genre on its own.

Bill Bailey's a well-travelled and well- versed guy... 

Message 4 of 4